Like Tree14Likes

Uber HK Upfront fares

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    15,599

    Uber HK Upfront fares

    Seems Uber HK is moving towards upfront fares:

    "We’re excited to roll out Upfront Fares for all riders in Hong Kong today.

    Simply enter your destination and get the actual trip fare before you request a ride. No surprises or complicated math - you can decide what’s best for you and your budget! "

    https://newsroom.uber.com/hong-kong/upfrontfares/

    Sounds good right? Apparently the rumour is that it results in an increase in fares for riders, and Uber doesn't share the fare increase with the driver (and there we thought Uber was supposed to be a ride sharing app!!)

    Uber's Upfront Pricing is Secretly Overcharging Passengers Without Paying Drivers


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    275

    Endless protests by drivers for uber/local competitors in multiple cities in India over poor earnings, and not getting paid the surcharge.


  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,099

    "From my experience as a driver and passenger, it seems that the algorithm for calculating the Upfront Fare assumes a sort of crappy route and a crappy driver in order to ensure the passenger pays enough for the ride. At the end of the day, Upfront Pricing is really just a betting machine with the job of making sure all of the rides average out to a profit for Uber. The problem begins when Uber pockets the difference from the miscalculations."

    What the article fails to mention are those cases where Uber eats the extras and pays the driver higher than what the passenger paid.

    If he is indeed correct, and Uber is gambling - there will be wins as well as losses.


  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    12,333

    They have been using the upfront fares in Manila for a while now. mostly I don't even look at the fare - other issues cause me more problems in Manila - but i did notice todays trip to the airport was massively more expensive than it used to be (especially since the traffic was fine) and that the driver did not use the Skyway - which they normally do. I'm guessing if the fare is fixed they are incentivised to go the cheapest way, not the fastest way. Hmmmm.

    East_coast and DrWho like this.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,099
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    They have been using the upfront fares in Manila for a while now. mostly I don't even look at the fare - other issues cause me more problems in Manila - but i did notice todays trip to the airport was massively more expensive than it used to be (especially since the traffic was fine) and that the driver did not use the Skyway - which they normally do. I'm guessing if the fare is fixed they are incentivised to go the cheapest way, not the fastest way. Hmmmm.
    Drivers should follow the GPS instructions. If they dont, Uber will know and if they do it too many times - they will get the boot. I dont think that would be worthwhile strategy for them to try.....

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,879

    Is it still possible to tell the driver a different (faster) route with the new upfront fare once I am in the car? Does anybody know that?


  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    239

    Uber discount fares were not sustainable... and here they are with their scam upfront fares... from my eastern island side tst is $105 on the red and $150 on the Uberx.... why.... Uber thinks eastern tunnel is best route and charges 150 even if the driver takes hung hom tunnel


  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    12,333

    I've never seen Manila uber take the route indicated on the screen. Certainly the one I gave up on this morning... which drove up a freeway onramp onto a completely stationary freeway when the app was saying take a backroute did not. After 20 mins on the onramp I got out and walked to the nearest train station... and scored driver low on navigation.


  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    香港
    Posts
    1,162
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I've never seen Manila uber take the route indicated on the screen. Certainly the one I gave up on this morning... which drove up a freeway onramp onto a completely stationary freeway when the app was saying take a backroute did not. After 20 mins on the onramp I got out and walked to the nearest train station... and scored driver low on navigation.
    Really? The few times I took Uber in Manila the drivers followed the route turn by turn

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    12,333
    Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    Really? The few times I took Uber in Manila the drivers followed the route turn by turn
    That might have been because Uber suggested the "normal' route. This one was a traffic avoidance route, not the normal one at all. It would have been the better route I think.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast