Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MrRotavator

driving abroad w/HK international license

Closed Thread

driving abroad w/HK international license

I hold an EU driver's license (no expiry date), and used it to obtain a HK driver's license, which I then used to obtain a HK international driver's license. But now I only have the physical EU license and the HK international driver's license. I've misplaced that flimsy actual HK license.

When renting or driving a family a car abroad (in the EU, but not the same country as my license), do I need to show my actual HK license that I used to obtain the international license? Or just use the EU license and not bother with the HK International one? (I haven't lived in the EU country for a long time, but have kept this driver's license...)

Just use your EU license.

The International Driving Permit is only valid together with your HK Licence.

EU Licence should have an expiry date

TheBrit likes this.

http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/com...eaflet_eng.pdf

$110 gets you a duplicate HK Licence.

No time to get a new print. Hmm!

We were asked for the HK license this week when we handed over the international one. Often we are not. But you should hand both the license and your HK id card and most foreigners assume the ID card is the license and ignore the other card. You may get away with it Renting the car... no chance if in an accident etc.. And may get charged for not having a valid license with you.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    We were asked for the HK license this week when we handed over the international one. Often we are not. But you should hand both the license and your HK id card and most foreigners assume the ID card is the license and ignore the other card. You may get away with it Renting the car... no chance if in an accident etc.. And may get charged for not having a valid license with you.
    Why? The EU license is sufficient in all EU countries. And no, not all have expiry dates. My German license without expiry date will expire and have to be replaced by Jan. 19, 2021 (depending on my year of birth).

Quote Originally Posted by hktraveller:
    Why? The EU license is sufficient in all EU countries. And no, not all have expiry dates. My German license without expiry date will expire and have to be replaced by Jan. 19, 2021 (depending on my year of birth).
    Depends if the EU license is registered to the current address ie Hong Kong. If not its probably not valid.

While you might be able to get the car from the hire company, I'd be most worried about insurance being invalid if you were to have an accident.