hong kong express question

Closed Thread

hong kong express question

going to bali direct, there is a hk express flight that is going to be 400 cheaper pp and there are two of us going with a baby. we have a flight with cathay pacific already. is it worth changing? i'm thinking not but i don't know much about this airline and i can't find much info on the web.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Have used them for HKG-BKK-HKG. Seemed fine. Crew trying to make a good impression like the new brooms that they were. Food - Asian, fine - mildly better than TG or CX. But ask about baby meal (sans melamine!) or take your own. Entertainment, I prefer CX (and AC) over Asian airlines because the latter's western music is too safe (pop pourri and hit parade) for me, but it's not too long a flight. I think in Bangkok it was bus and stairs, no aerobridge. Maybe in HK too - can't remember. So, if that makes a diff with a baby in tow, better ask about this.

We booked a nice price ticket to Vietnam (HCMC) in September for end of October. About 10 days in advance they told me the flights were cancelled and next available flight would be 9 November (more than 2 weeks later). I was really bumped and in the end we went to Taipei because CX tickets were already much more expensive by that time. Next time I won't use them again unless I wouldn't really care not to go but not if we really have plans, hotel reservations, etc. because it's hard (and more expensive) to find similar flights a few days / 1 or 2 weeks in advance.

We're still waiting for our money as well, almost $8000.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyTo3:
    We booked a nice price ticket to Vietnam (HCMC) in September for end of October. About 10 days in advance they told me the flights were cancelled and next available flight would be 9 November (more than 2 weeks later). I was really bumped and in the end we went to Taipei because CX tickets were already much more expensive by that time. Next time I won't use them again unless I wouldn't really care not to go but not if we really have plans, hotel reservations, etc. because it's hard (and more expensive) to find similar flights a few days / 1 or 2 weeks in advance.

We're still waiting for our money as well, almost $8000.
    Nearly the same case as MommyTo, booked flights to Nepal to attend wedding, got a call 1 week before to tell me the date that i wanted was canceled so had to fly two days later, luckily i still made it or i would have been really P!ssed.

I wouldnt change it if its only $400 cheaper unless your talking about US$. HK Express flights you need to board a bus and they take you out into the airfield and you need to walk up the stairs / same with comming back, CX flights no need, If your going to be carrying a baby, stroller etc, best to stick with CX.

HK Express (and their sister company Hong Kong Airlines) are notorious for cancelling flights and completely changing schedules at short notice - Mrs PDLM often suffered this when using the latter to fly to Clark. Being a Low Cost Carrier they offer nothing except your money back in these circumstances. If you fly with Cathay and they have to cancel the flight (which is very unlikely) then they would do their very best to put you on an alternative flight at no extra charge.

I'd stick with Cathay.

I would also agree that it is best to avoid HK Express, they have cancelled on me before and also been very late sometimes. Not worth changing for $400.

Had a good trip to Kunming last -Easter was it ? with HK Express but ,reallyand re also Air Asia I am too old and intolerant to cop flight delays that well these days, let alone cancellations -anyway ,just when you start factoring in a new direct route with this lot they up and cease offering it -Chiang Mai etc - and I like to book ahead yes I hate bus and stairs -however loved that Aussie voice on the intercom! You get bus and stairs with KA too often to make me happy -so yes -CX it is -nearly always on time !

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I would also agree that it is best to avoid HK Express, they have cancelled on me before and also been very late sometimes. Not worth changing for $400.

thanks for the response guys. going to stick with cathay then.