• 1 Post By HK_Katherine
  • 1 Post By MandM!
  • 1 Post By civil_servant
  • 1 Post By chuckster007
  • 1 Post By Jdayrutherford

Been bitten by the Japan-bug

Closed Thread

Been bitten by the Japan-bug

I have always wanted to visit Japan, but never got round to it, especially when the missus had the final say on where we go on our holidays. Over the new year we had to opportunity to go on our first trip with our local friends to Japan, namely Nagoya. We had a rented 7-seater and managed to visit Ise, Shima and Shirakawa, all beautiful places.

So, I've been bitten by the Japan bug and want to visit again this year.

I'm stuck between going to Osaka or Tokyo. Our Nagoya trip was mainly cultural sights rather than shopping, and would like a more even balance on our next trip. Any recommendations?

Kyoto is just an incredible open air museum.
    Nara is a little town with cute dears everywhere
    Tokyo is just another concrete jungle, only difference is that it's inhabited by millions of people who are light years far more polite and friendly than the Chinese here.

We've now been to Japan 7 times in the past 6 years

Until last year, I'd have said Osaka is much better - and it's still a great place to hang out, eat, shop, as well as having Kyoto and Nara right on the doorstep. We went to Tokyo for the third time last year, and it was the first time I felt like I got a proper feel for the street life - it's not as easy to get into as Osaka, but actually there's some pretty fun stuff going on at the local level, particularly if you don't just go to Shinjuku and Shibuya...

Tokyo is where the plane lands. The nice stuff in Japan is everywhere else. But then, I don't like towns. We have been to all sorts of remote places in Japan and loved it. The further away, the better. Tokyo is amazing to be sure, but its just another city at the end of the day. I really did like Kyoto. Some of the gardens and the gold pavilion - all stunning. But also get to see some of the islands. If I had to put my finger on my favourite area convenient for a quick visit it would have to be the Hakone Five Lakes region. Lovely scenery - including Fuji if you are lucky. Great accommodation. Good public transport. Easy to get to from Tokyo or Osaka.

MandM! likes this.

Niseko is amazing, just fell in love.

I also liked Kyoto a lot.

civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Niseko is amazing, just fell in love.

I also liked Kyoto a lot.
    We went to Niseko last April. It keeps calling my name.
    MandM! likes this.

I'm heading to my 2nd Japan trip next Wed to Osaka with the kid (3 yrs) and mrs, I was there last year on my 1st ever business trip but only spent 1 night there and then to Tokyo for 1 night as well.

Did a lot of looking into and looked at youtube videos of places to go in Osaka, booked Universal Studios tickets and Biwako-Valley・Ski Resort, take the kid to snowland and Osaka Aquarium.

Mrs found this website to buy lots of tickets which might be useful to anyone.

https://www.kkday.com/en/product/pro...ntryname=Japan

civil_servant likes this.

Thanks for all your input.

I have to make a trip to Kyoto in 2018 for family reasons, so I've removed this as my next trip.

Japan travel

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Thanks for all your input.

I have to make a trip to Kyoto in 2018 for family reasons, so I've removed this as my next trip.
    I really liked Hokaido. Sapparo, Hakodate are worth visiting but the wilder areas are beautiful.
    Maybe a ferry to Russia as well.
    Skyhook likes this.