Like Tree4Likes

Ctrip - is it safe ?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

had the same problem with AF, same resolution 20 years ago

I use the CTrip app all the time for Chinese domestic flights. For hotel bookings I use the agoda app because I can get Asia Mile.

No fucking AF. Never again fucking assholes

I have used Ctrip to book China hotels, used also Elong and Qunar.

For international flights I use Skyscanner to check prices and routes - and then book at the airlines website, it's in most cases cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    I have used Ctrip to book China hotels, used also Elong and Qunar.

For international flights I use Skyscanner to check prices and routes - and then book at the airlines website, it's in most cases cheaper.
    Skyscanner sold to China travel firm Ctrip in £1.4bn deal - BBC News

Yes, I noticed that Skyscanner has been bought by Ctrip. I installed the Android app on my pad and it wanted access to all contacts. The app stayed on the pad for about 1 Minute. The website I still use, without any login.

Original Post Deleted
    Refusal ended the install routine. Can't see the advantage of an app anyway. Won't try again.

jrkob - I suspect they might have a few seats allocated to a wholesale / GDS platform which are not available in their inventory, until the GDS / wholesaler releases them back?

I could talk to you about GDS the way you'd talk to me about stock exchanges.

Original Post Deleted
    And sometimes metasites offer more option than the airlines sites. I recall that in the ol' days Turkish Air had no option for booking open jaw lights, so I booked with Zuji.

I meant to post here earlier but forgot. I believe ctrip is probably the most used platform in China and therefore probably the world. They're very sophisticated (pricing and data) but low tech at the same time (you get the good stuff over the phone).

I'm 95% sure that it has secret backing by the government. If you're a Chinese, HK, Macao PR, the deals that you get are insane. Booking under the wife will change the prices they charge by 30% to 50%. But often she needs to speak to them on the phone to arrange the finer details - and they consistently confirm and emphasise that we need to have Chinese passports.

I suspect that the Chinese government uses ctrip as a way to subsidize Chinese travelers so that they have incentive to become more worldly but really so that the government can easily find Chinese people anywhere in the world - it's a single database where the government can cross reference passport numbers.

I don't have a Chinese passport so we always book under 1 name and I sneak in...

Sorry I was not clear.

Yes she's a HK citizen. Not every deal will be 30% to 50% off - I'm actually comparing ctrip's prices when you select English vs Chinese rather than the original price offered by the hotel or airline. If you don't use the Chinese website you get crappy prices. Edit: wife says it must be simplified Chinese not traditional Chinese

Regarding phone call, more about ironing out the small details (confirming how everything works) as outlined in the original post rather than getting good prices.