Like Tree31Likes

US forbids any device larger than cellphone on airlines from 13 countries

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Which has a US immigration pre-clearance facility, meaning you have to go through neither customs nor immigration anymore once landing because it's US security, border control and customs checking your stuff before boarding. Yeah. Totally makes sense.
    It doesnt make much sense, I think most of the world agrees on this but there must have been some news to spook the spooks in order to trigger this. We dont know it yet but I'm sure it will leak out sooner than later.

Also : has there been any indication that this was initiated by the drumpf ? I'm under the impression this was cooked up by the spooks.

Seen on one of the geek forums I frequent.

It's especially weird, as I'm not allowed to put a laptop in checked luggage because they don't allow large lithium-ion batteries in the hold.
    Yep, seems like one should check the laptop and carry on the battery.
    Fun ...

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    UK is slightly different and a tiny bit more logical.
    UK bans on all airlines while (including the budgets and BA) the Donald exempts the crappies US airlines #MAGA
    This is because no crappy US airlines fly from these airports, so no need to ban something that doesn't exist.

From the Evening Standard

The restrictions will not affect any US airline as they do not fly to the ten airports.
    Electronics ban: UK to follow US with ban on laptops and electronic devices on flights | London Evening Standard
    HowardCoombs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    This is because no crappy US airlines fly from these airports, so no need to ban something that doesn't exist.

From the Evening Standard

Electronics ban: UK to follow US with ban on laptops and electronic devices on flights | London Evening Standard
    I did find it surprising that no US airline flew to Dubai.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    One thing this has done is, broken the mum's groups on the interwebs with questions like... "How will we keep our kids entertained?!?"

I for one, look forward to increased sales in activity, coloring and even reading books this summer on shopinhk.com
    Shri von Rothschild?

shri likes this.

More like Barnum...

Saw this on Drudge.

The intelligence is believed to have come from a raid by US Navy Seals in Yemen in January, which targeted al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsular (AQAP). It resulted in the death of a soldier, but yielded “important intelligence”, according to President Donald Trump.

Reports at the time said AQAP’s bomb-maker Ibrahim al-Asiri was trying to build compact bombs containing only trace amounts of metal that can be smuggled onto planes.

US security analysts are also said to have picked up increased “chatter” in recent weeks from militants saying they want to hide explosives in computers.
    Britain will ban electronic devices on flights from six Middle Eastern nations amid terror threat

US security analysts are also said to have picked up increased “chatter” in recent weeks from militants saying they want to hide explosives in computers.
    It makes sense to have heightened awareness but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

They've blocked Istanbul but have not blocked Greece, Bulgaria, Romania and also the rest of Europe which is trivial to get to by car or bus or train and then onto a flight to NYC, LAX or other destinations. If you are going to have any kind of effective campaign, you need to do a blanket ban.

An anecdotal data point : I travel to and via Turkey quite frequently and have never had issues with laptops before. In February, I took 6 flight segments in and out of Turkey with the wife - every single time, we were asked to open and turn on the laptops. This was quite odd as in previous years, maybe 1 out of 10 (or less) I would be asked to do the same....Perhaps this intelligence was shared and known earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    So not a Donald racist move. The UK has followed.

US and UK ban cabin laptops on some inbound flights - BBC News
    I haven't read and only for argument sake. it's not because country A does something and country B does it too that it isn't racist.
    In this case didn't read but will now...just disputing your logic. If B does what A did, then no problem...not quite.

Read. It's BS, Terrorist can fly from anywhere. Ban it for all or don't ban it, utter rubbish.

shri likes this.