Like Tree43Likes

Cathay - Race to the bottom?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I flew PAL to the UK over CNY on account of its biz class being a third the price of Cathays (and my usual ex TPE trick not working at CNY). It was not 1/3 of the quality. More like 70percent so a good tradeoff. Biz on PAL was cheaper than PEY ex HK. Crazy pricing.

Do other airlines doing the HKG-SIN route overnight serve only a sorry looking sandwich and kit kat for the meal?

Quote Originally Posted by KEM.UK:
    Do other airlines doing the HKG-SIN route overnight serve only a sorry looking sandwich and kit kat for the meal?
    I think its just CX that operates the HKG-SIN-HKG redeye. I usually avoid their food on this route as its usually crap (boxed or unboxed). I usually eat at the lounge before I board.

The issue that bothers me is that they have been raising the fares on this routs almost every other month which is totally ridiculous. Mid 2016 fares were $1250 after tax and its $1940 now (Q Class). It seems that they are penalizing their customers for their bad management decisions.

Cathay is going to have more competition with AA on their US routes soon
    http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/28/ameri...-airlines.html

I wonder when CX will face reality and accept they are not doing themselves any favours

I don't get how CX planes are always so full, why are people rushing to fly with them? I don't like their planes, and the prices are 50-100% higher than others, and even at these prices you only earn a small fraction of miles.

I recently flew AA long-haul, FA's have attitude but planes are decent, prices are cheap, and as long as it isn't class O you'll earn 100% Asia miles in economy and decent club points. On the way back, due to missed connection I was rebooked on a Dreamliner, first time, it was very nice. Then had to route back to HK via CX. On AA I have plenty of room in front of my knees, especially on the Dreamliner, maybe I got lucky with the seat. Then on CX my knees are practically touching the seat and I'm trapped. The plane is 100% full. The AA plane had lots of vacant seats. I don't get it...

If you want to book a business class flight to London they will charge you $40k for a HK departure but only $25k for a Gunagzhou departure transiting through HK. Even as a Marco Polo club member I have tried to challenge them on this and they refuse to answer my emails. Cathay is finished.

JaredHK and MandM! like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    On AA I have plenty of room in front of my knees, especially on the Dreamliner, maybe I got lucky with the seat. Then on CX my knees are practically touching the seat and I'm trapped.
    Doesn't make sense if you were in the standard economy cabin.

AA
    Seat Pitch 31 inches
    Seat Width 17 inches

CX
    Seat Pitch 32 inches
    Seat Width 18.5 inches

Perhaps you were sitting in AA's Main Cabin Extra seats (which are bigger but usually cost extra unless you have status).
    Elegiaque, TheBrit and MandM! like this.

One time I was trying to get back to HK on American Airlines. Some 24 hours after departure time, I couldn't have been more thrilled to be put on a Cathay flight in LA. Their food sucks, but at least you understand where the check-in counter is and don't get a lot of attitude bs when they mess around with your flight and put you on an overnight flight you would have never chosen, which by the way, is also delayed. Honestly, every single leg of the trip, regardless if it was the original or a rebooked one, was messed up. Not to mention no blanket in a cold overnight flight just to make sure you don't sleep.

So Cathay, in my American mind, is a pretty respectable airline. But would I pay the extra price....

Last edited by Elegiaque; 03-04-2017 at 04:55 PM.
    shri and DrWho like this.

http://www.economist.com/news/britai...ritish-airways

Aren't they just following industry trends?