Like Tree34Likes

CX Marco Polo Green

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

CX Marco Polo Green

I traveled about 4 or 5 times on CX last year. Mumbai, Osaka, KL, Beijing, Shanghai. Each trip was economy and I think my company's travel agent (Swire Travel, the same mob as CX) book the cheap ass fares so I only earn between 10 and 20 club points on each round trip. So I earned somewhere between 50 to 100 club points last year.

Today I get a letter from Cathay saying that even though I hadn't met their 100 point minimum for retaining green, they were going to let me keep it anyway for another year. I repeat for clarity, this is the bottom of the rung green card they are trying to take away. These motherfuckers sound like they are doing me some kind of 'favour' by letting me stay a member of their club.

Honestly Cathay, I have the lowest fucking green card that for all intents and purposes gives fuck all in terms of benefits, it costs you very little to maintain me as a green member. I really don't give a rats ass if you take it away from me, but please stop harassing me about it. If you don't want someone that flew 4 or 5 times on your aircraft last year in your bottom of the rung membership program then so be it and just go ahead and take my card away already ffs and stop pretending to do me favours.

But we get to line up in the shitty Green line above the rest of the cattle LOL

MPC check-in desks is the only benefit I find of any use.

Fares booked via TA's often are low classes of special fares that do not qualify for club miles. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me..

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    Fares booked via TA's often are low classes of special fares that do not qualify for club miles. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me..
    Depends on your companies travel policy. Those fares also have very restrictive (expensive) change provisions. I don't book them for business trips for that reason. I typically change my flight pretty much every trip! But if your trips are fixed and firm, makes sense for the TA to book in a lower class.

Luckily, since I essentially set our travel policy, I have no problems. But I do monitor what the rest of the staff do an do question them if they purchase unnecessarily expensive fares!

Since the changes, Cathay's scheme is pretty much useless for anyone who does not travel much, or who only travels short haul in Economy (even if they fly every week!). It's a huge downer imho. But I can't see a realistic alternative for business travel if you live in HK and need reliable and well timed flights (i.e. more than one per day and not leaving at 3am....)

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Depends on your companies travel policy. Those fares also have very restrictive (expensive) change provisions
    I always book Cathay from my travel agent and I could change dates without any extra fare, have only done once and it was the chepeast fare. This was for economy though

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnso2:
    I always book Cathay from my travel agent and I could change dates without any extra fare, have only done once and it was the chepeast fare. This was for economy though
    Then you did it before your agent ticketed the flight. You cannot change the cheapest fare for free once ticketed. (It is common that agents wait until the last minute to ticket the flight for exactly this reason).
    jrkob, bdw, shri and 2 others like this.

Someone a bit pissed off today?

Yeah maybe... but the agent blocks the fare for me and send me a ticket about 5 days before journey

We had an agent, who without reprompting would rebook the ticket every three days, so it was not issued. Eventually they're ask us to make up our minds as they might not be able to rebook on the same fare.

Forget who it was .. some random travel expert guy. Some of the Indian agents do this too...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast