Cathay - Redeem Asia Miles

Closed Thread

Cathay - Redeem Asia Miles

Confused and seeking advice...

I would like to book a LHR to HKG biz class tix on CX but not sure which would be the best way to do it:

1. Buy a premium ticket and use the Asia Miles to upgrade to biz class
    2. Buy a biz class ticket outright using only Asia Miles

Also, what is the date amendment policy when the ticket has been partly/fully purchased using Asia Miles?

Not sure if I'm stupid or their website is not clear...perhaps a bit of both!

Thanks all

Upgrade from PE to biz is _very_ cheap in terms of miles but in my experience makes only sense if you manage to hold on to a cheap PE fare (there are plenty of dates where CX PE is not that far from Finnair biz).

I don't know what the exact policy is when it comes to changing dates (can't be too bad though - you can even cancel the issued ticket for 120USD). However, what I often do is to book as many flights as possible a year in advance _around_ a certain data with always one leg being waitlisted. If you're that early the waitlist usually clears pretty soon but you have the whole year left to decide which ticket you're going to use. Probably doesn't work for Christmas though.

I just changed the date on a ticket purchased fully with miles. It cost 1000 miles to change it. I think it's subject to availability though.

Given only the most expensive PE tickets can be upgraded I would go for a full redemption ticket.

(unless your employer is paying and will book you in R class).

How do I do this? Do I complete the transaction for a PE ticket and then go back into the system to upgrade?
    I won't be comparing other airlines as I'm looking for a direct flight and I hear only terrible things about BA so CX it is! lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Upgrade from PE to biz is _very_ cheap in terms of miles but in my experience makes only sense if you manage to hold on to a cheap PE fare (there are plenty of dates where CX PE is not that far from Finnair biz).

I don't know what the exact policy is when it comes to changing dates (can't be too bad though - you can even cancel the issued ticket for 120USD). However, what I often do is to book as many flights as possible a year in advance _around_ a certain data with always one leg being waitlisted. If you're that early the waitlist usually clears pretty soon but you have the whole year left to decide which ticket you're going to use. Probably doesn't work for Christmas though.

Oh I had no idea...

Thanks for the heads up

Quote Originally Posted by jw1701:
    Given only the most expensive PE tickets can be upgraded I would go for a full redemption ticket.

(unless your employer is paying and will book you in R class).