Like Tree25Likes

For all those expats returning home...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    I totally forgot in the UK that everybody takes their stuff out the basket and puts it on the moving conveyor belt at the till, so when i just put my basket on the belt, the woman there glared at me. :-(
    I did this my first time shopping in a supermarket in the Netherlands. The clerk said, "Would you mind taking the things out?"...But really, is it so hard for them to lift them out, versus lifting from the conveyor belt?

I did this in the supermarket in England last week. We looked at each other for a few seconds before I realised the checkout lady wouldn't move until I took the things out of the basket. I think she felt I had gone mad.

Back in Sweden and appreciating how customer service should be but not always is in other countries..

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherCanadian:
    I did this my first time shopping in a supermarket in the Netherlands. The clerk said, "Would you mind taking the things out?"...But really, is it so hard for them to lift them out, versus lifting from the conveyor belt?
    The conveyor belts are placed at a height for things to be taken directly off it.

The walls of a basket are about a foot higher so you need to tweak your wrists/elbows/shoulders a bit oddly to access the contents of a basket. Not a problem if it's something you do once a week grocery shopping, but if you spend months of eight hour shifts mildly contorting your arms and shoulders because you have to constantly get stuff out of baskets, it's probably a bit shit for your body.

I've always viewed HK checkouts as fairly typical of a lot of behaviors here- completely unthinking and mildly self-centered (cues a reference to the "do you clean up your McDonalds table" thread).
    Skyhook likes this.