Like Tree16Likes

Central to HKIA - Weekday evening

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    However, it takes a loooong time to reach HK express boarding gate, which is a journey in itself, starting from T2, so I would leave at 6pm
    Check in uptown. Less hassle when you arrive at the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    That's about a 15 - 20 min walk. And then roughly 30 mins on the train, so 45 mins roughly (taking into account waiting time).
    At least you know it will only take you 45mins, If you get caught in a traffic jam...

That's about a 15 - 20 min walk. And then roughly 30 mins on the train, so 45 mins roughly (taking into account waiting time).
    Put it this way, and I am speaking from experience as my husband ( I would catch a ride) would drive into North Point, via Sheung Wan to go to work from Lantau some days and return the same time as you are saying you will travel to HKIA. From Sheung Wan via taxi, this time is peak and always congested, no matter which tunnel you take, right through to Tsing Yi. I don't know if this is also a cost or time issue you are concerned about principally, but from experience ( picking up and dropping off clients from/ at HKIA), it is much cheaper and more convenient to take the airport express. It will still take about a hour or so to get to the airport by taxi as you have peak hour traffic during this time. If you are so intent on taking taxi, then leave at least 30 - 45 mins earlier. Even if the taxi driver is about to change shift, the option of the airport surcharge and a long fare may be enough to entice.
    pin likes this.

Cost isn't an issue. Timing cannot change. I guess its airport express in that case then.

So after two pages taxi isn't a viable option for that time.

thanks for that lol!! Do you think that would be quicker than getting a taxi all the way? Esp with weekday evening traffic in central?
    Taxi all the way would be faster. Once you are past the tunnel there are rarely problems to the airport. Should take about 30 mins.
    pin and Fiona in HKG like this.

If your starting point is further west than Shun Tak then I'd say taxi should be fine. The main bulk of the jams in Central are from Shun Tak all the way through to Admiratly (and beyond).

HK_Katherine likes this.

How is the traffic situation from Sheung Wan / Central to HKIA on a weekday evening?

For various reasons I intend to take a taxi from home to HKIA, leaving at around 6 - 6.30pm with a flight at 8.30pm. No checked baggage and will do online check-in.

Is that feasible or traffic will cause a problem.
    I've done it - Sheung Wan near Wing On to HKIA at about 5:30 PM for an 8-ish flight with no checked luggage. I don't recall hitting any significant traffic and made the flight with time to spare.

That would be a huge detour as I live on Lantau

35 mins in Uber. Left at 6.10

What is more fascinating about this thread is that the car-person was saying take the train and the bus-person was saying take a taxi Have a good trip.