Like Tree22Likes

What the hell is the "trick" to picking up Uber at the airport?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What the hell is the "trick" to picking up Uber at the airport?

Twice I've got it to work, first time driver rang me and told me to go to car park 1. Second time I messaged driver with same. Second driver told me to select car park 1 for location... but I can't find any such listing. Only car park 3 (no idea where that is). Anyone know how to get drivers to come to the right location? Today it took 45 mins to connect (45 mins of thinking they were 5 mins away). Two drivers cancelled after waiting 10 mins when I rang them up. Last one did two laps of the airport before coming in.... If you select Hong Kong airport, the GPS puts it in the middle of the runway... that was where my second driver was trying to go following his GPS despite two messages to come to car park 1! What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Twice I've got it to work, first time driver rang me and told me to go to car park 1. Second time I messaged driver with same. Second driver told me to select car park 1 for location... but I can't find any such listing. Only car park 3 (no idea where that is). Anyone know how to get drivers to come to the right location? Today it took 45 mins to connect (45 mins of thinking they were 5 mins away). Two drivers cancelled after waiting 10 mins when I rang them up. Last one did two laps of the airport before coming in.... If you select Hong Kong airport, the GPS puts it in the middle of the runway... that was where my second driver was trying to go following his GPS despite two messages to come to car park 1! What am I missing?
    Nothing. It hasn't given me the usual Carpark one option the last couple of times.

Last time the nearest car was trundling around Tsing Yi. I cancelled it and got a cab
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Nothing. It hasn't given me the usual Carpark one option the last couple of times.

Last time the nearest car was trundling around Tsing Yi. I cancelled it and got a cab
    I would have got the bus but the final car was finally close by the time it left. Very frustrating.

I would have got the bus but the final car was finally close by the time it left. Very frustrating.
    You can blame the Liaison Office for this.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    You can blame the Liaison Office for this.
    ?

10 char

?

10 char
    They manage who gets what LegCo seat for the pro-authoritarian side. Taxi licence holders hold a large chunk of the transport seat so to keep them onside Uber must be exterminated....

i never had a problem meeting them at carpark 1 where the 3 elevators are. that's one of the usual spots where the drivers will meet you at, esp when you are leaving from terminal 1 (the main terminal)

basically, just go to the right when you get out of immigration/customs, then go to the ground level, and you're there.

Quote Originally Posted by importrule:
    i never had a problem meeting them at carpark 1 where the 3 elevators are. that's one of the usual spots where the drivers will meet you at, esp when you are leaving from terminal 1 (the main terminal)

basically, just go to the right when you get out of immigration/customs, then go to the ground level, and you're there.
    Katherine knows where Car Park 1 is. She's been to the airport more times than you've had hot dinners.

Can't you manually drag the pickup point to Car Park 1 when requesting an Uber?

HKIA is probably one of the best served airports in the world by public transport options, I don't see any need to use UBER from the airport so this is very much a 'first world problem' for me.

I don't take Uber from the airport for the same reasons as Trebor, but you can call or message the drivers directly from the app. Calling and saying "Car Park 1" should do the trick..... it must be well sign posted.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast