Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pin
  • 1 Post By East_coast

Should HK have an open skies policy

Closed Thread

Should Hong Kong even matter if their aim is the mainland Chinese? Surely its easier to use Shanghai or Beijing or even Guangzhou?

The cost of the flight (from other parts of China) will usually be cheaper than flying them to Hong Kong, and paperwork is probably easier too since HK is technically an SAR.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    Good reminder of how much of a neoliberal hellhole HK really is
    Unfortunately this is probably more about the assimilation of Hong Kong into China than about letting an old British Hong skim money from society.

It is highly likely that the airspace over Hong Kong will not last the full 50 years and it would be impossible to integrate if Hong Kong had (as it should) allowed the 5th freedom of air travel.

If Hong Kong implemented the 5th freedom it would benefit from all the flights that could drop off and pick up enroute to China.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Unfortunately this is probably more about the assimilation of Hong Kong into China than about letting an old British Hong skim money from society.

It is highly likely that the airspace over Hong Kong will not last the full 50 years and it would be impossible to integrate if Hong Kong had (as it should) allowed the 5th freedom of air travel.

If Hong Kong implemented the 5th freedom it would benefit from all the flights that could drop off and pick up enroute to China.
    Damn you are really good at spinning the China angle on current events. Have you considered a career in media?

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    Damn you are really good at spinning the China angle on current events. Have you considered a career in media?
    I am not so keen on meat cleavers so not the career for me
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Should Hong Kong even matter if their aim is the mainland Chinese? Surely its easier to use Shanghai or Beijing or even Guangzhou?

The cost of the flight (from other parts of China) will usually be cheaper than flying them to Hong Kong, and paperwork is probably easier too since HK is technically an SAR.
    I wager you have never dealt with mainland Chinese paperwork....

FWIW, China currently allows every international route to be operated by exactly one local and one foreign carrier. Hence you find fun combinations like Xiamen flying from Chengdu to the US. In any case we are much more liberal than China, yes. Not all that much an achievement though.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I am not so keen on meat cleavers so not the career for me
    Wish I could laugh at this but this does seem to be the norm nowadays.

(That was a genuine compliment FYI, contrary to what some people think)