Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By answerer

Assistance at Airport Express without paying $100?

Closed Thread

Assistance at Airport Express without paying $100?

I need to get to the airport a toddler in a stroller, and luggage for a long-haul flight. I am pregnant so will be a struggle for me to manage all of these items alone and my doctor says to avoid carrying heavy items if I can avoid it. I was thinking of asking my helper to come with me to the Airport Express check-in desk, but I can't think of how she would be able to get to the desk without having to pay $100 by tapping her Octopus. Is there another method that I'm not thinking of?

Would be great if anyone could confirm that...will be a huge struggle for me if it's not. I was told that someone would be able to help me with luggage at HKIA last time I travelled pregnant and I ended up having to lug two huge suitcases by myself as there wasn't a staff member to be found.

Have checked parents in without paying. Just have to ask nicely or get the cx staff to open the side gate.

merchantms likes this.

They offer free same-day return tickets. Toddlers can be a hassle and rumour has it so is being pregnant, so one option might be to simply have her come with you all the way to the security check. Otherwise, what Shri says - just have her walk in with you and explain when anyone asks. The gate is there only to make sure that no one checks in without paying - I've accompanied relatives flying home as well.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    They offer free same-day return tickets. Toddlers can be a hassle and rumour has it so is being pregnant, so one option might be to simply have her come with you all the way to the security check. Otherwise, what Shri says - just have her walk in with you and explain when anyone asks. The gate is there only to make sure that no one checks in without paying - I've accompanied relatives flying home as well.
    In Kowloon station, after check in, go downstairs to the train platform, and there is second octopus gate, I'd bet that second tap charges the fee. but as @er2 says maybe it would be easier for your helper to go with you to the airport.

Thanks all. I can handle toddler with carryon luggage and meeting my husband at the airport, so I really only need help getting out of the taxi and to the check in desk. As it's a longhaul trip we will have a lot of bags so it's just going to be too much for me on my own. I will try to have my helper come in the gate with me and explain she's not coming to the airport just assisting.

It's fine as long as you say your helper is just helping and isn't checking in.
    Either:
    1)Ask the staff to open the gate for your helper pushing the luggage. Usually easiest for them to hold open the exit gate
    2)Or just tap your Octopus card, have your helper push the luggage cart and you follow right behind her - you'll set off the alarm but they don't seem to care (at HK station at least)

merchantms likes this.

I helped in-laws recently in a similar situation and I just walked in when some people walked out, as the gates are huge. Really no big deal, although if she's a helper maybe more likely to be harassed, so maybe be sure she stays near you!