Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By jgl

Philippine government suspends Uber for a month

Closed Thread

Philippine government suspends Uber for a month

But not Grab. There have been two Congressional hearings on this issue.

Basically most people are in favour of Uber but they keep breaking the rules. Uber were ordered to stop activating new non-documented drivers, said under oath they had, but evidence showed they were still doing so. Many of their drivers also lack insurance. Grab seem to be able to operate within the law, Uber seem to think they are above the law. Not sure I would want to get in a taxi where there driver does not have the correct licence or insurance. My view appears to be a minority one though, perhaps because I don't commute in the hell that is Manila.

Uber is one of the scummiest big tech companies on the planet. It's hard to reconcile the generally good end-user experience in Hong Kong with how terrible the company culture and practices are. I've refused to use them partly for this reason, and partly because this is what they demand on your phone:

Name:  app-permissions-4.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  68.1 KB

As a counterpoint, I installed Lyft recently (not in HK) and it required these permissions:

That was literally all that Lyft needed from me.
    shri, hullexile and chuckster007 like this.

They really do consider themselves above the law. Mindblowing arrogance. Feel sorry for the drivers.

LTFRB: Uber drivers face apprehension following app's reactivation - CNN Philippines

Faced with criminal cases Uber have apologised and grovelled. They have promised to obey the rules from now on. Their permit to operate is due for renewal next month which probably had something to do with their change of tune especially as Duterte said he backed the regulator.