Like Tree44Likes

Hong Kong to Guangzhou 48 minutes advert by MTR

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Well no not at all, the TV ad clearly compares the usual route with the new one stating the new one takes you to Guangzhou faster. They don't even mention Guangzhou Lam during the ad, just saw it again on the airport express.
    Guangzhou South is Guangzhou. So yes, the train takes you to Guangzhou faster. Less than half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Guangzhou South is Guangzhou. So yes, the train takes you to Guangzhou faster. Less than half the time.
    Loool.
    TheBrit likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Luton Aiport to London Centre, 57km - Luton not in a borough of London, not accessible via the London Underground
    Stanstead Airport to London Centre, 64km - Stanstead not in a borough of London, not accessible via the London Underground

Heathrow Airport to London Centre, 29km - Heathrow is in a borough of London, accessible via the London Underground
    Guangzhou South to Guangzhou Centre, 23 km - Guangzhou South is in a district of Guangzhou, accessible vie the Guangzhou metro

Spot the difference?

Now go troll somewhere else.

Luton Aiport to London Centre, 57km - Luton not in a borough of London, not accessible via the London Underground
    Stanstead Airport to London Centre, 64km - Stanstead not in a borough of London, not accessible via the London UndergroundI was getting good fish and chips on London outskirts for £5. And quality fish and potato not the cheap generic potatoes and cheapest fish they use here and charge you $150 for! Actually all eating out we did was cheaper than here pretty much.

Heathrow Airport to London Centre, 29km - Heathrow is in a borough of London, accessible via the London Underground
    Guangzhou South to Guangzhou Centre, 23 km - Guangzhou South is in a district of Guangzhou, accessible vie the Guangzhou metro

Spot the difference?

Now go troll somewhere else.
    Seriously. I mean really seriously. Stanstead has express rail, as does Gatwick and Heathrow. Luton has direct train. How do you make this up?
    TheBrit likes this.

What does this have to do with Guangzhou South not being in Guangzhou?

Metros serve the inner limits of a city. Just because Luton does have a direct train, it doesn't make it part of London. Why are we even talking about the UK? Because there's a troll among us who just loves derailing.

What does this have to do with Guangzhou South not being in Guangzhou?

Metros serve the inner limits of a city. Just because Luton does have a direct train, it doesn't make it part of London. Why are we even talking about the UK? Because there's a troll among us who just loves derailing.
    Sorry but I really don't understand how you're desperately still try to defend this white elephant railway. Since your nickname is civil servant. were you somehow involved in this farce?
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Sorry but I really don't understand how you're desperately still try to defend this white elephant railway. Since your nickname is civil servant. were you somehow involved in this farce?
    I thought the topic was the misleading MTR ad that's not really misleading? 48 minutes and you end up in Guangzhou. From there you can use the city's transport infrastructure to go where you need to go.

I stick to my point. Kim wins the race.
    jonastainine likes this.

In realty Guagnzhou South station is in a field just outside Panyu. As many are aware Panyu was only recently amalgamated into Guangzhou so up until a few years ago Guangzhou South would of been located in Panyu County. Again the crux of the issue is the train network is fantastic as reducing short haul flights and will really help connect HK & Shenzhen but it is just silly to keep pushing the faster time to Guangzhou as we all know the Guangzhou South Station is in a field just outside Panyu.

If the Government told the MTR to publicise the benefits fo being connected to Shenzhen and Guangdong as a whole they would not be ridiculed for trying to push nonsense every one knows is nonsense.

Trying to defend such a stupid line in advertising beggers beliefs. It is a stupid campaign that just erodes trust.
    Gatts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    In realty Guangzhou South station is in a field just outside Panyu.
    A field with top-notch roads and a subway station.

When I landed in Hong Kong ten years ago, I had to go to Shenzhen to activate my dependent visa. At that time there were only two subway lines. I figured, well, let's see what's at the place where the two lines intersect. It was a subway station to nowhere. I ended up in a giant construction field. This part is now Futian.

If you look at Guangzhou South, you'll realize that the roads there resemble the roads in Futian and Tianhe. 3 lane boulevard roads that form a grid. The satellite images of the area also show deep foundations being dug, indicating that tall buildings will follow. I can't find much about the plans, but I'm sure that in a few years time, it'll no longer be a field. I'm also sure that as the importance of the area/station grows, an express train to Guangzhou downtown will follow. The highspeed network is already expensive enough without having to put stations in costly city centres and further complicate the overall design. The time lost for having to ride a subway to those stations is more than made up by the high speed traveling through the mountainous terrain of China.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    If the Government told the MTR to publicise the benefits fo being connected to Shenzhen and Guangdong as a whole they would not be ridiculed for trying to push nonsense every one knows is nonsense.
    They do. They even announced that most passengers would take the train to Shenzhen only and open up other regions in Guangdong to Hong Kong.

Please, the government is being ridiculed for everything, regardless of what they do. It's not going to stop. Both you and I know it. No need to pretend otherwise.

If they sell Shenzhen, then the argument becomes, why not put a cheaper train, no need for highspeed?
    If they sell Guangdong, then the argument becomes, 80 billion to go to Shaoguan?
    If they sell Guangzhou, it's a train to a field.

If they sell the total benefit, it's no longer an ad, but a documentary.
    bargfeldstegen likes this.

A field with top-notch roads and a subway station.
    It is a field with a High Speed Railway Station with OK road links to Foshan, Panyu and surrounding area as well as being at the end of a long metro link.

The satellite images of the area also show deep foundations being dug, indicating that tall buildings will follow. I can't find much about the plans, but I'm sure that in a few years time, it'll no longer be a field. I'm also sure that as the importance of the area/station grows, an express train to Guangzhou downtown will follow.
    Perhaps the area may become a new business district, perhaps not. A cynic may suggest it depends which party members owns the development rights for the land around the station. This is not the point the point is the MTR is advertising it will take 45 Mins to Guangzhou. This is a silly advertising campaign. It would be like a UK train company advertising 45 Mins to London then dropping you in Uxbridge. They would be ridiculed and issue an apology for a silly advertising campaign.

If they sell Shenzhen, then the argument becomes, why not put a cheaper train, no need for highspeed?
    If they sell Guangdong, then the argument becomes, 80 billion to go to Shaoguan?
    If they sell Guangzhou, it's a train to a field.
    They should be lambasted for treating public money wastefully on vanity white elephant projects.

If they sell the total benefit, it's no longer an ad, but a documentary.
    Only how so much of other peoples money could wasted by an HKSAR Gov.
    TheBrit and Gatts like this.