Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By civil_servant
  • 1 Post By civil_servant
  • 2 Post By lighthse003

Shenzhen during Golden Week

Closed Thread

Shenzhen during Golden Week

I'm just wondering how crazy I am!!!

Me and a good friend are thinking of going to Shenzhen for a few nights during Golden Week.

We've already booked a nice hotel at a pretty good price and it can easily be cancelled. Also, after a few years of living in HK, it'd be nice to actually explore a bit of Shenzhen as I've only been to Lo Wu before.

I was wondering if that's a good idea or, as I said, are we just crazy to consider it?

That's not crazy at all. It should be quiet.

shri likes this.

Shenzhen is nice and quiet during golden week. You will be fine.

Really? I saw someone on tripadvisor saying that Shenzhen gets very busy over the National Day week-long holiday. But then, the hotels there are quite cheap.

We checked out Macau.... Well the Venetian wanted 5500 HKD per night, and the cheapest hotel in the city was 1200 a night and that was for a hovel!

Macau is a different story. Shenzhen will be fine. The cheap hotels should be a good indicator. You may just run into a lot of traffic near the border.

TeachHK likes this.

It is not as quiet as Chinese New Year, just the same as in September.During CNY, many people are not in the city and many shops close as many Shenzhen residents return to their homes in other parts of China.

Shenzhen, especially the central part of it, is not really a tourist or shopping attraction year round. The city does not have a peak tourist reason unlike other cities like Beijing, Sanya, Hong Kong and Macau. The tourist attractions and the adjacent hotels in Shenzhen will be busy during peak seasons. Most parts of the city will be as usual during Golden Week. You will see many Mainland Chinese and Hong Kong people at the border during Golden Week. You should try to cross at the less busy time of the day. Some crossings are less busy than others.

Hong Kong and Macau will be more busy or hotels will be more expensive.

TeachHK and biffski like this.

OK. Thanks for the responses. I think we'll probably go.

Any ideas on how long the wait will be at Lo Wu? I guess we're going against the flow, so it shouldn't be too bad.
    Also, my friend is a HKer. Can he come through the foreigners line with me?

Quote Originally Posted by TeachHK:
    OK. Thanks for the responses. I think we'll probably go.

Any ideas on how long the wait will be at Lo Wu? I guess we're going against the flow, so it shouldn't be too bad.
    Also, my friend is a HKer. Can he come through the foreigners line with me?
    You can download the immigration app. It tells you approximate waiting time. You can plan your start or change to other border crossings accordingly.

Your friend can come with you in the foreigners lane, but you can't take the HK residents manned lane. Better to start early to cross the border, as it usually crowds after 8 to 9 am.

Quote Originally Posted by shafiq:
    Your friend can come with you in the foreigners lane, but you can't take the HK residents manned lane. Better to start early to cross the border, as it usually crowds after 8 to 9 am.
    I'm not really worried about HK immigration as we can go through the e-channel together.
    My worry in on the Chinese side. Those with Chinese citizenship go downstairs and foreigners remain upstairs. I'd really rather go through together if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TeachHK:
    I'm not really worried about HK immigration as we can go through the e-channel together.
    My worry in on the Chinese side. Those with Chinese citizenship go downstairs and foreigners remain upstairs. I'd really rather go through together if possible.
    I too meant the manned lane for HK ppl using HRP at the mainland China side.

You can take your friend with you in the foreigners lane.