Like Tree34Likes

Your Travel Bucket List?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I suspect it has..

For us, it is just being able to travel would be a dream come true. Unable to travel to India to see parents, cannot make post-summer plans to drop the kid off at Uni... Mrs cannot make plans to visit with some friends after the drop-off...

In the next year or two, should be interesting to see if and when "visa / restriction free" travel routes reopen, what the capacity and costs are of airlines, hotels etc. Also, will travellers trust AirBnB (individual owned accommodation) over hotels due to hygiene standards?
    I'm in a similar position with two teenagers in boarding school in Auckland. Two week quarantine at each end makes bringing them back for school holidays impossible and the New Zealand border closure means my wife can't join us. Pulling them out of school is something we definitely want to avoid at all costs given the impact on university aspirations which leaves us split for the forceable future.

Desperately hoping that we start seeing some travel bubbles without quarantine requirements open up between places that have both very low rates of local transmission and robust testing and tracing regimes sooner rather than later.

I'm watching the new Baltic Bubble and the proposed European travel corridors closely – it's possible that they may end up being a litmus test to see whether some degree of international travel without quarantine can resume .... or not.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:

Desperately hoping that we start seeing some travel bubbles without quarantine requirements open up between places that have both very low rates of local transmission and robust testing and tracing regimes sooner rather than later.
    The problem that HK will not be included in any bubble.

The HKSAR government's first priority will be to free up cross-border travel with the mainland. No other government will allow China in their bubble. The political backlash will be massive.

For the next couple of years at least, we have to be realistic that if we want holidays without quarantine then our travel will be in China.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    For the next couple of years at least, we have to be realistic that if we want holidays without quarantine then our travel will be in China.
    Of all bubbles, this really isn't the worst. So many amazing travel opportunities on the mainland.

Lots of the locals will have to open their eyes and give it a plunge. It's amazing the number who have travelled to everywhere else in Asia and yet somehow have never got past Shenzhen.
    shri, Coolboy, Pauljoecoe and 2 others like this.

We’re leaving HK in July. Plan originally was to get back to the UK via China and then overland taking in Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan,Georgia, Turkey and through Europe returning to UK in September. (When our house is available)

As that is not likely to be possible I hope there can be a China, Taiwan, Hong Kong bubble. We need to fill a couple of months and I don’t really want it to be in HK or UK couch surfing.

Beyond that bucket lists include Africa/South America and Scandinavia.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    I'm in a similar position with two teenagers in boarding school in Auckland. Two week quarantine at each end makes bringing them back for school holidays impossible and the New Zealand border closure means my wife can't join us. Pulling them out of school is something we definitely want to avoid at all costs given the impact on university aspirations which leaves us split for the forceable future.

I'm watching the new Baltic Bubble and the proposed European travel corridors closely – it's possible that they may end up being a litmus test to see whether some degree of international travel without quarantine can resume .... or not.
    If New Zealand is going to have any travel bubble at all, it will be with Australia and some of the Pacific Island nations such as Fiji, Guam, Tonga, etc. This is where those of us in Australia will be holidaying for the foreseeable future. There won't be any bubble with Hong Kong.
    Skyhook and East_coast like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Of all bubbles, this really isn't the worst. So many amazing travel opportunities on the mainland.

Lots of the locals will have to open their eyes and give it a plunge. It's amazing the number who have travelled to everywhere else in Asia and yet somehow have never got past Shenzhen.
    Screw that. I've traveled fairly extensively throughout China for decades, from when they had a special currency just for foreigners. The place has gotten less and less appealing over time.
    Mefisto and drumbrake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Screw that. I've traveled fairly extensively throughout China for decades, from when they had a special currency just for foreigners. The place has gotten less and less appealing over time.
    I doubt the China tourism board will know or care about your absence though. The country does not rely on you exclusively for their source of travelers.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    This is a place I want to go to in Switzerland. Now the country is know for its spectacular Alpine scenery in general, but this place takes the cake. Its like someone decided to take a fantasy landscape, say from Middle-Earth, and place it in the real world. I want to go here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_4XZuUqwoc
    It is very nice. But prefer up the mountainsides from this village

Name:  Sommerbild_Dorf_Grindelwald.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  416.7 KB

Name:  10003945.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  139.6 KB
    Coolboy and tura like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:

That is wrong. Isn't Taiwan is the most common destination for HKers?

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    The problem that HK will not be included in any bubble.

The HKSAR government's first priority will be to free up cross-border travel with the mainland. No other government will allow China in their bubble. The political backlash will be massive.

When you are handed a bubble, make a bubble tea
    GentleGeorge and shri like this.