Like Tree29Likes

Need Advice - For 3 days holidays near Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Random2389456
    Quote Originally Posted by shafiq:
    You can try Thailand (Pattaya, Phuket, Bangkok) or China (shanghai or sanya) or Taiwan ( Kaohsiung/kenting or Taipei/Taichung/hualien). Options are one too many, but don't join your group. Most tour group caters to Chinese speaking and it's hard to fit in.
    Hi Shafiq,

Thanks for so much options in single post.
    Do you mean Pattaya, Phuket, Bangkok all can be covered in 3 days? Or each one needs 3 day to visit?
    Sorry for silly question but I don't know much so want to be clear.

If only one place can be visited in 3 days then please tell me which place you will recommend most and what is must to see there and where to stay for good service and reasonable price?

Thanks for your valuable time.

Quote Originally Posted by Random2389456:
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
    Yes, From 1st October to 8 October is golden week.

I can change the dates if it will save me much money.

Now, what options we have now?

Can you please tell what must see in Taiwan and where to stay in Taiwan for reasonable prices and good services?
    You should probably try to figure some of this stuff out by yourself, it'll help you with all your future trips.

For flight costs, Expedia, Kayak, or a dozen other sites. Put in destination, travel dates, and the sites will return ticket prices.

This is a good starting point for destination information: Taiwan - Wikitravel

I doubt you will find tickets cheaply to many of the places mentioned here for that weekend.
    You can try cities where there are a lot of daily flights (e.g. Bangkok) just use some of the ticket finders online and you will know.
    Also be mindful that it is still rainy season in a large part of Asia.

5K (air ticket+hotel) for 2 people for 3 day trip during National Holiday week (Sept 30 - Oct 2nd) = NO CHANCE

<snip>

Sometimes air tix direct to Chiang Mai Thailand can be had at a very reasonable cost. Still 'low season' so hotels not crowded. Food good and not expensive. Walk around city or rent 2 wheeled things.
    Save the adventure part for the bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Random2389456:
    Hi Shafiq,

Thanks for so much options in single post.
    Do you mean Pattaya, Phuket, Bangkok all can be covered in 3 days? Or each one needs 3 day to visit?
    Sorry for silly question but I don't know much so want to be clear.

If only one place can be visited in 3 days then please tell me which place you will recommend most and what is must to see there and where to stay for good service and reasonable price?

Thanks for your valuable time.
    I would stay well clear of Pattaya, full of sex pests. It's not the sort of place your 'average' person would go to ;-)

Skyscanner.net allows you to search for "everywhere" as your destination and it will show you the cheapest cities and countries. Not 100% accurate but pretty good. Google flights is similar but you need a specific destination.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    1 October is a public holiday. All the air fares are more expensive than usual because of that. It's also GOLDEN WEEK. So, AVOID MAINLAND LIKE THE PLAGUE. Also anywhere else that celebrates the same Chinese holidays as they will also be busy.

After checking that, we can discuss what is left.....!

For natural beauty, one option is to go to Kota Kinabalu and climb Mt Kinabalu or just go to the various resorts around the edge of it.

Taiwan also has excellent outdoor/scenic options. (EDIT - I would avoid there during Golden week too).

Tiger Leaping Gorge is a good hiking spot too, good for a 3 day visit and Lijiang also very interesting place to fly though (subject to my comment above about Golden Week obviously).

Japan has fabulous options. Hot springs, beaches, hiking, volcanoes - the Fuji 5 lakes region, for example, is wonderful. May be out of your price range though.

South Korea also good. Could try Jeju - if it's out of season Jeju can be very cheap. It has lovely beaches and Mt Halasan is great hiking, even in middle of winter (prepare for cold and wet weather though).
    Agree with all of the above but...

Hiking Hallasan in cold wet weather is not fun. Been there, done that.....I guess now is the time, but when I went ( June three years ago), I began with cool, clear weather that soon became virtually no visibility, rainy, string winds at the peak - because all flights were cancelled the day before due to dangerously strong winds ( common on Jeju), I decided to do a half day hike before bring the crowds that the airport with my husband ( who stayed back at the hotel). Jeju is fine for three nights ( unless you want a full day of hiking - there are shelters, but in extremely bad weather, they become crowded, and if you do decide to stay over night, expect no sleep, let alone a space on the floor), but no more than that. You can do tours of Jeju - we did a day tour that took us to the caves, lookouts, diving etc..If you like seafood, then this could be an option.

South Korea, I prefer places like Jeonju, Guin-sa, Daegu, Busan or Suwon. Seoul is also family friendly, and Bukanshan National Park is accessible easily by metro.

Japan - now is the time to explore Kyoto and Nara. Easy long weekend. Stay in a ryokan. Not too cold either.

I wish that I had decided to stay longer in Guilin and Yanshuo...Maybe one day...

Vietnam - Nha Trang?

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:

I wish that I had decided to stay longer in Guilin and Yanshuo...Maybe one day...
    Me too, Guilin I saw all I wanted to see but Yanshuo we just got the ferry down and only had a few hours there, we did the rafting. I'd like to stay a few nights, it seems to have quite a vibrant little nightlife too.