Like Tree8Likes

Anyone born in HK holding British passport had trouble applying China visa because "Country of Birth" says HKG on passport?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone born in HK holding British passport had trouble applying China visa because "Country of Birth" says HKG on passport?

I went to apply for my China visa last week for the first time, and lady in the counter says because where it says Country of Birth it's Hong Kong HKG (and not Hong Kong China) they will not issue me entry more than "Once" each time.

And after further questioning, the officer just bluntly says ask your passport issuing coutry to change it back to Hong Kong China.

Has anyone or anyone you know experienced this?

Checked a couple of my son's passports (including one issued a few months ago) and his birth is listed as "Hong Kong" - no HKG or China at the end.

But we've not applied for a multiple entry visa in ages - he used to have one several years ago before they hiked up the prices.

No "Country of Birth" - it is "Place of Birth" on his passport.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 1.53.15 PM.png
Views: 1068
Size:  30.3 KB

Mine says Hong Kong only in my Brit passport, thank fook for my APEC card lol

Edit - Just realized that its your 1st application for a CHINA visa, then you need to go through the 1 entry the double entry etc before you can really apply for a multiple entry visa, they usually didnt give 1st timers multiple entry visa in the past.

shri, East_coast and JAherbert like this.

I think something is lost in translation - as chuckster007 pointed out, first timers always get a single entry visa.

JAherbert likes this.

I thought they would give a double-entry visa for first-time applicants?

They gave one to me anyway (though this was a while ago).

I'm fully aware about the first time application given 1 entry only, but with my case they told me they will only grant single entry visa for any future applications as well. The lady specifically said we do not accept Hong Kong HKG. Mines says Place of Birth too, I misread that.

This is so annoying, and she even told me we follow this rule for anyone with anyone whose place of birth is written as above.

shri likes this.

Must be a very recent pro-democracy related rule ...

Quote Originally Posted by cremosa:
    The lady specifically said we do not accept Hong Kong HKG. Mines says Place of Birth too, I misread that.
    I wouldnt be to worried about what the lady said, just go use your 1st visa and then when you apply again for your next visa see what happens then or heck even use a travel agent or CTS, different people say different things LOL

yes this is uncalled for! more to do with diplomatic tension I believe. I told the person on the counter its not under my control and she said maybe try amending this when you renew your passport.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    I wouldnt be to worried about what the lady said, just go use your 1st visa and then when you apply again for your next visa see what happens then or heck even use a travel agent or CTS, different people say different things LOL

Quote Originally Posted by cremosa:
    she said maybe try amending this when you renew your passport.
    She's a bloody idiot if she thinks that you have the power to tell the passport office what to write LOL anyways seeing the post from deleteduser, it seems if when you do renew your passport, it will only show HONG KONG so that should solve your problem hopefully.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast