Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By hullexile
  • 5 Post By Plutark
  • 1 Post By hullexile

New smoking laws in the Philippines

Closed Thread

New smoking laws in the Philippines

This came up on another thread but I know several of you travel here so I thought I would give the details as they are being obeyed quite strictly.

No smoking inside any buildings open to the public except in ventilated designated rooms. The rules on ventilation are quite strict so these rooms are extremely rare.

No smoking outside in public areas, so in the grounds of hotels, other buildings, street, car parks etc. except in designated smoking areas.

No smoking in cars with kids.

Fines are imposed on both the smoker and the establishment.

If I remember correctly the fines for the smoker are:

First offence: HKD 50 (about an average days wage)
    Second: HKD 160
    Third: HKD 480
    Fourth: HKD 1400 and potentially prison.

The enforcers, at least around here, are local government employees who are not in uniform so don't think if you can't see a cop you are safe.

I am seriously surprised how effective it has been.

At least US does not lead the war on drugs anymore, its the Pillipines and Thai baywatch.

What about e cigarettes ?

they should do the same in HK, tired of smokers blowing their smoke in people's face in the street. And also don't seem to find the bin to throw their cigarettes!

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    At least US does not lead the war on drugs anymore, its the Pillipines and Thai baywatch.

What about e cigarettes ?
    Not sure, don't use them. Seen people vaping in the designated smoking areas and no one outside them so I assume the are treated the same.
    Morrison likes this.