Like Tree11Likes

Credit Card details Stolen

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Credit Card details Stolen

I recently got back from France and used my HSBC card there for hotel booking through booking.com. The hotel insisted on swiping my card saying they did not receive the money through booking.com. I guess they stole the details through their machine and have used my card until today.
    HSBC did not notify me about this, I checked my statement today and realised it. I called HSBC but they are of no help! This happened between 24th to 2nd, I got my card cancelled and have receipts for the transactions that I made. How do i dispute/not pay for the transactions that I did not make? Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by HKCouch:
    I recently got back from France and used my HSBC card there for hotel booking through booking.com. The hotel insisted on swiping my card saying they did not receive the money through booking.com. I guess they stole the details through their machine and have used my card until today.
    HSBC did not notify me about this, I checked my statement today and realised it. I called HSBC but they are of no help! This happened between 24th to 2nd, I got my card cancelled and have receipts for the transactions that I made. How do i dispute/not pay for the transactions that I did not make? Any help?
    GO to HSBC.

have the hotel n booking.com ever double charged u? as i know most cases booking.com will not do any payment while u pay in the hotel only.
    further wot have they used yr card for? did u get any unidentified transaction on yr statement?
    do u mind expose the hotel name?

Last edited by Pidaras; 03-01-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Same happen to a friend of mine just back from the US. They must have lifted the card details somewhere. Somebody spent US$2000 in Disney. They must have had a good time.

BTW, I doubt booking.com has any involvement.

No I have not used booking.com before. The hotel name where it all started is Hotel Le Squara.

wow, if i were u. i'll do as jrkob said.
    further i would call booking.com to complain too.

I never keep my credit card receipts, anyone else here keep theirs? If so, how long do you keep them for?

I only keep receipt for large electronic household items that comes with warranties : a good number of them still requires proof of purchase. I think a printed transaction record from your credit card company will work as well, but it's probably less hassle to just keep the original.

One of the advantage of moving to online shopping is that everything is recorded electronically so there's no real need to collect paper receipt anymore.

I get a text from HSBC whenever my credit card is used online (or anywhere I am not present). I got one of these on the 31st while in the car on the way to the airport. Rang them up from the airport, had no idea what the purchase was so they cancelled my card on the spot. Very inconvenient but probably better than losing any more. They said they would query the transaction too.

Interestingly I had made two bookings on booking.com for hotel stays the previous week. No idea if this is relevant or not, never had a problem with them before.

Quote Originally Posted by sinespe:
    I only keep receipt for large electronic household items that comes with warranties : a good number of them still requires proof of purchase. I think a printed transaction record from your credit card company will work as well, but it's probably less hassle to just keep the original.
    That is a good point, I'd lied - I do keep receipts for purchases over 1k HKD for warranty purposes.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast