Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By huja

Cruise Line jobs

Closed Thread

Cruise Line jobs

Hello,

Anyone know how to go about getting one of those cruise line jobs? Anyone work on one before? If so, was it easy to get?

Do they hire anyone or do you need certain qualifications or experience? Read online lots of students on gap year and stuff are doing it if they are majoring in a certain subject that ties in with the job, i.e.catering, or whatever. I already graduated, did graphic design so that is kinda useless lol
    So was just wondering how difficult it would be to get into?

What's the best way to go about it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickelodeon1997:
    Hello,

Anyone know how to go about getting one of those cruise line jobs? Anyone work on one before? If so, was it easy to get?

Do they hire anyone or do you need certain qualifications or experience? Read online lots of students on gap year and stuff are doing it if they are majoring in a certain subject that ties in with the job, i.e.catering, or whatever. I already graduated, did graphic design so that is kinda useless lol
    So was just wondering how difficult it would be to get into?

What's the best way to go about it?

Thanks
    Look at their websites, contact them directly.

Check out this reddit thread. It's fascinating . . .

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...t_really_like/

Good question. All the cruise line websites in Hong Kong link to Linkedin, which shows no jobs available.

From what i have recently read, a Public Health nurse on the cruise ship is vital. Those, and a large wiper crew armed with bottles of germ killing alcohol.

They usually hire hotel and tourism management students on a gap year, but having some experience as a waiter or similar should be enough as well.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Check out this reddit thread. It's fascinating . . .

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...t_really_like/
    I have a friend who worked on a cruise and yes, this is exactly as she describes it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    They usually hire hotel and tourism management students on a gap year, but having some experience as a waiter or similar should be enough as well.
    If one did like a year max doing waiter work, would that be enough? Other jobs I've done is like all retail work, shops selling clothes, supermarket, etc. :/

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    From what i have recently read, a Public Health nurse on the cruise ship is vital. Those, and a large wiper crew armed with bottles of germ killing alcohol.
    I can do cleaner no problem, as long as I can travel for free lol ;p

Quote Originally Posted by nickelodeon1997:
    If one did like a year max doing waiter work, would that be enough? Other jobs I've done is like all retail work, shops selling clothes, supermarket, etc. :/

I can do cleaner no problem, as long as I can travel for free lol ;p
    Most of the jobs would be similar to entry level work so I don't think you need huge amounts of experience. i am assuming you won't be going for engineer jobs or entertainment jobs where you need specific skills.

They just need you to be presentable, relatively responsible and have common sense when dealing with people. You can work in the restaurants, bars or shops on board.