Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By huja

Cruise Line jobs

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    197

    Cruise Line jobs

    Hello,

    Anyone know how to go about getting one of those cruise line jobs? Anyone work on one before? If so, was it easy to get?

    Do they hire anyone or do you need certain qualifications or experience? Read online lots of students on gap year and stuff are doing it if they are majoring in a certain subject that ties in with the job, i.e.catering, or whatever. I already graduated, did graphic design so that is kinda useless lol
    So was just wondering how difficult it would be to get into?

    What's the best way to go about it?

    Thanks


  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    16,285
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelodeon1997
    Hello,

    Anyone know how to go about getting one of those cruise line jobs? Anyone work on one before? If so, was it easy to get?

    Do they hire anyone or do you need certain qualifications or experience? Read online lots of students on gap year and stuff are doing it if they are majoring in a certain subject that ties in with the job, i.e.catering, or whatever. I already graduated, did graphic design so that is kinda useless lol
    So was just wondering how difficult it would be to get into?

    What's the best way to go about it?

    Thanks
    Look at their websites, contact them directly.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,053

    Check out this reddit thread. It's fascinating . . .

    https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...t_really_like/


  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,004

    Good question. All the cruise line websites in Hong Kong link to Linkedin, which shows no jobs available.


  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    604

    From what i have recently read, a Public Health nurse on the cruise ship is vital. Those, and a large wiper crew armed with bottles of germ killing alcohol.


  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,543

    They usually hire hotel and tourism management students on a gap year, but having some experience as a waiter or similar should be enough as well.


  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,755
    Quote Originally Posted by huja
    Check out this reddit thread. It's fascinating . . .

    https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...t_really_like/
    I have a friend who worked on a cruise and yes, this is exactly as she describes it.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    They usually hire hotel and tourism management students on a gap year, but having some experience as a waiter or similar should be enough as well.
    If one did like a year max doing waiter work, would that be enough? Other jobs I've done is like all retail work, shops selling clothes, supermarket, etc. :/

    Quote Originally Posted by jobin
    From what i have recently read, a Public Health nurse on the cruise ship is vital. Those, and a large wiper crew armed with bottles of germ killing alcohol.
    I can do cleaner no problem, as long as I can travel for free lol ;p

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,755
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelodeon1997
    If one did like a year max doing waiter work, would that be enough? Other jobs I've done is like all retail work, shops selling clothes, supermarket, etc. :/



    I can do cleaner no problem, as long as I can travel for free lol ;p
    Most of the jobs would be similar to entry level work so I don't think you need huge amounts of experience. i am assuming you won't be going for engineer jobs or entertainment jobs where you need specific skills.

    They just need you to be presentable, relatively responsible and have common sense when dealing with people. You can work in the restaurants, bars or shops on board.