Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrgoodkat

Speeding ticket in Europe

Closed Thread

Speeding ticket in Europe

I got two speeding tickets in Europe in July of 2017, one in Germany and one in Austria. I know that because Avis notified me in August that they have received the ticket and that they will pass on my information to the authorities for a fee. They also mentioned that the authorities should then contact me. I haven't heard anything since then and I even made the effort to contact the authorities by email two weeks ago, but there has been no response. Has anyone here ever received a speeding ticket from either of the two mentioned countries by mail in Hong Kong? How long did it take for it to arrive?

Never received the actual tickets. The rental company usually just deducts the service from my CC and that's it. German tickets have to be issued within 3 months or they'll expire so they usually don't send them (like in HK, you will receive a letter informing you about the offence and asking you to admit to the offence or inform them about the driver, then they'll issue the ticket. Takes more than 3 month to HK so it's not worth it.) Austrian tickets can probably get deducted from your CC, I don't think they have such an inefficient process.
    Swiss tickets are the best, they will email you and you pay them online.

civil_servant likes this.

Thanks, that's good to know.

As great and efficient Swiss tickets are, I sure hope I never get one in the mail. Fines can be steep there.

I thought smoking and speeding is ok again in Austria ?

I thought the procedure was the rental car pays and then chases you/deducts from your credit card. Pretty sure you sign that when you rent (that you agree to this).

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I thought the procedure was the rental car pays and then chases you/deducts from your credit card. Pretty sure you sign that when you rent (that you agree to this).
    That would sign away your right to dispute your ticket in court. Never encountered a rental company that makes you sign something like that. They usually charge you a bit for processing the ticket and sending your details to the police.

I received tickets from Canada, Australia and New Zealand by mail, I guess it took a few weeks. Had a ticket once in Austria and I believe I paid that one on the spot but that was a while back.

Had speeding ticket in France sent to my address in Hong Kong, address details passed on via Europcar for 54€, paid the camera fine online with credit card. The official fine turned up in the mail about 3months later.

I got a ticket a couple of years back in the UK, driving my mum's car. My dad (retired solicitor) replied saying his son was driving on a Hong Kong license - they never pursued the ticket...