Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By TeachHK
  • 1 Post By answerer

Hang Seng Multi-currency ATMs

Closed Thread

Hang Seng Multi-currency ATMs

I've noticed that at Causeway Bay station the Hang Seng ATM area has lots of multi-currency machines.

It's more than the usual RMB/ USD setup. They have Thai Baht, Korean Won, SGD, Euros, Taiwan Dollars etc.

Does anyone know if they charge any fees or is it at the UnionPay rate like the HSBC CNY ATMs?

If the latter, this will be an excellent place to get holiday money.

z754103 and Paxbritannia like this.

It's more for those who have multiple currencies in their bank account then you can withdraw directly from RMB, USD, JPY etc account without any fees.

The fees are probably built into the exchange rate. So saves you going to the branch, but you'll typically be better off exchanging or withdrawing from ATM at destination - at least for most Asian currencies.

https://bank.hangseng.com/1/2/person...n-currency-atm

Quote Originally Posted by answerer:
    The fees are probably built into the exchange rate. So saves you going to the branch, but you'll typically be better off exchanging or withdrawing from ATM at destination - at least for most Asian currencies.

https://bank.hangseng.com/1/2/person...n-currency-atm
    Nothing on the link you have linked to suggests Hang Seng has their own conversion rate.

I'll have a go using the machine and see if it states there are any fees.

You simply withdraw the funds from the respective account (USD). If you don't have USD then you need to transfer. I would do that online instead of at the ATM.

Hang Seng don't offer Korean Won or Thai Baht accounts so obviously you have to withdraw from a HKD/ USD etc. account.

What I wanted to know is if you withdrew say Baht, what exchange rate would you get?
    Is it Hang Seng's
    1 THB = 0.255 HKD (i.e bad)
    Or UnionPay's
    1 THB = 0.248 HKD (i.e good)?

I imagine it's the latter, but I was checking to see if anyone knows. I'll head to CWB tomorrow or Saturday to check at the machine.

BTW. If you withdraw CNY from a HKD account you get the UnionPay rate - not the Hang Seng/ HSBC rate.

According to the Chinese media articles, it's based on the Hang Seng exchange rate. Also, it requires a Hang Seng ATM card - HSBC won't work.

https://www.hk01.com/%E7%B6%93%E6%BF...4%8F3%E9%BB%9E

TeachHK likes this.

That's a shame - though not unsurprising as they must be looking at it from a profit angle.

The withdraws are based on one's HKD account. I tried 3xs so far over a three month time to withdraw Thai Baht. Each time the ATM did not have any Thai Baht.