Like Tree2Likes

Lost Luggage

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lost Luggage

I've just returned after a nightmare trip getting back from Paris. It was not surprising, given the chaos at Charles de Gaulle Airport due to the weather, to find my luggage was lost.

I booked my flight, as I always do, direct with Air France - a direct flight to Hong Kong. It was supposed to leave at 11.30pm on Tuesday, they eventually cancelled it at 3am. Left a full planeload to sleep on the terminal floor, failed to come back to us at 7am as promised, and left us to have to hijack a passing Air France staff member after 2 hours of trying to find out what we were supposed to do. Appalling service from Air France at their home airport no less. I don't blame them for the flight cancellation, but the handling was a disaster.

Anyway, after finally getting out to the check-in area, I was rebooked on a flight to Beijing with a connecting China Southern flight to HK. My luggage stayed checked in, with the new flight details. My new Air France flight from CDG was 4.5 hours late leaving, I explained to the Air France staff that I was going to miss my connection and was told I would be able to sort it in Beijing. In Beijing I was met by ground staff representing Air France, and guided through getting a 24 hour visa, then had to go collect my bags (which had been supposedly checked through to HK, on the missed flight). My bags did not arrive. The gound staff person checked and said all bags had come through, mine were lost. She wouldn't let me report them lost, she said I had to do it in Hong Kong and if I missed my flight I would have to pay for a new connection.

I therefore never checked any bags in to Hong Kong Airlines. When I arrived in HK, I tried to report my bags lost to the Air France Lost Baggage, but they wouldn't let me, they said I had to do it through Hong Kong Airlines. Which I did.

I was given a phone number to call for HK Airlines lost bags. It doesn't work. I tried to contact Air France, could only do so via Facebook messaging. They said it was nothing to do with Air France.

TL : DR

1. My 2 x 23 kg bags were checked in with Air France for a direct flight to HK.
    2. I never saw my bags again
    3. Air France put me on a flight via Beijing which left late so I missed my China Southern connection.
    4. I was rebooked onto Hong Kong Airlines, I never checked any bags in because they were already lost.
    5. Air France says its not their problem and Hong Kong Airlines suck.
    3. My bags were lost either at Charles de Gaulle or Beijing

Does anyone understand how the global lost baggage system works? And if my bags are not found, who is liable? I expect to be able to claim under European regulations, I expect to find that Hong Kong Airlines compensation is rubbish.

Definitely Air France's problem, they checked your luggage in so they took responsibility. You should have the checked luggage tags with you from Air France and not any other airline so its 100% Air France Fault.

HK_Katherine likes this.

I have the baggage tickets, with Air France numbers. But there is some rule supposedly where the last flight operator has responsibility. Even though I never checked any bags in with HK airlines, and I never booked the flight them. It just seems bizarre to me that Air France can shrug their shoulders and tell me to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    But there is some rule supposedly where the last flight operator has responsibility.
    Doing some googling seems ur statement is correct.

Seems your in for a long head ache getting bounced around while your luggage is stuck somewhere in CHINA.

AIYA. good luck Kim

First of all, it seems you should be entitled to the 600 Euros flight delay compensation.

Second of all, you need to put in writing the delay and circumstances of your lost baggage and there's no doubt that Air france has a responsibility.

f the claim is rejected, but you believe it's valid you can escalate it to the ombudsman or the relevant regulator (this will depend on the airline). If you still don’t get the answer you believe is right it is possible to take the airline to the small claims court.

Read more: How to claim EU flight delay compensation|(EC) 261/2004 | This is Money

kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    First of all, it seems you should be entitled to the 600 Euros flight delay compensation.

Second of all, you need to put in writing the delay and circumstances of your lost baggage and there's no doubt that Air france has a responsibility.

f the claim is rejected, but you believe it's valid you can escalate it to the ombudsman or the relevant regulator (this will depend on the airline). If you still don’t get the answer you believe is right it is possible to take the airline to the small claims court.

Extraordinary circumstances (weather) are excluded from the compensation. They still owe a duty of care to provide assistance and get you where you were supposed to be going, but no monetary payout. Leaving us to sleep on the terminal floor doesn't sound like 'providing accommodation', but they claimed there were no hotels available.

Still leaves the lost bags issue if they aren't found. Hong Kong Airlines seem to operate under strict Warsaw convention requirements, but not sure how they would react to a claim for bags they didn't carry. I'm still suffering from jet lag / lack of sleep after a solid 2 and a half days travel so haven't looked into it too far. And it isn't the money, because the most important stuff in the bags is irreplaceable as in old family stuff and documents. I'd just like someone to vaguely care about finding my bags.

Firstly, that's so frustrating and you must be exhausted. What a nightmare.
    My luggage was lost a few months ago when both the tags somehow fell off and remarkably they found it a few days later and delivered it to me. So hopefully the same will happen for you. Did they give you the airport baggage services number, too? If so, try that.

That's exactly why I and a few others here don't fly with AirFrance, depuis 1998

you did not say whether you had a HKG-Par-HKG ticket or just Paris- HKG
    On the tagged bag receipts you have what destination is shown?
    It should have shown HKG as the tagged destination
    In that case you would not see the bags in Beijing
    As for the other poster the ombudsman only deals with Internal Govt Maladministration

Suggest you post your same post again on FlyerTalk where people have much more expertise and often the airlines monitor the threads and step in to fix it.

http://www.flyertalk.com

PS - Sounds like a nightmare. My worst flight experience was also in CDG (Jordanian airlines). I think CDG is the common denominator.... and all the French people working there, even if not working for a French airline!

Personally, I think Air France is 100% responsible too as they were the ones who changed everything. Weather is not an excuse for absolute loss, only delay.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast