Like Tree5Likes

Visiting China during Easter

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Visiting China during Easter

Is it a good idea to visit China during Easter ? I am concerned about crowd during this time. Will it be too crowded or okay-ish ?

Places in mind are Shenzhen and Guangzhou or Guilin. Again I am not sure if I am late in planning this trip

Easter isn't a holiday in China so you'll be fine. Just be aware that 5th April is Ching Ming so it can be busy during that time.

vyral_143 likes this.

Thanks, I would be back by 2nd April at most if I plan a trip. So I think its okay

You may get a load of HK people there though, especially in Guilin. Shenzhen and Guangzhou should be fine.

All the tourists will magically disappear in the sea of people, so no problem at all.
    Hotels in Shenzhen will probably try to charge you more

HK_Katherine likes this.

I have decided of Guilin and surrounding area from 30th March to 2nd April.

I am confused about either going tour operator way who would handle all bookings (activities, local commute and/or hotels) or take it all on self ? I have non-existent mandarin skills.

On high level, I have thought of this itinerary. Suggestions are welcome.

Day 1 - reach Guilin by afternoon, visiting Elephant Trunk hill and Reed Flute cave. Overnight stay in Guilin
    Day 2 - Visiting Longsheng and rice terrace. Overnight stay in Guilin
    Day 3 - Li river cruise and reach Yangshuo, roaming around and in evening watching light show on Li River. Overnight stay in Yangshuo.
    Day 4 - return to HK

Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143:
    I have decided of Guilin and surrounding area from 30th March to 2nd April.

I am confused about either going tour operator way who would handle all bookings (activities, local commute and/or hotels) or take it all on self ? I have non-existent mandarin skills.

On high level, I have thought of this itinerary. Suggestions are welcome.

Day 1 - reach Guilin by afternoon, visiting Elephant Trunk hill and Reed Flute cave. Overnight stay in Guilin
    Day 2 - Visiting Longsheng and rice terrace. Overnight stay in Guilin
    Day 3 - Li river cruise and reach Yangshuo, roaming around and in evening watching light show on Li River. Overnight stay in Yangshuo.
    Day 4 - return to HK
    I'd recommend skipping Longsheng and going there another time for a short trip. It's worthwhile staying in Longsheng for 2 nights. Rather, I'd suggest to go to Yangshuo on the second day and plan daytime activities around there. Riding bikes in the country side, floating on bamboo rafts, or just chillin out.

Your itinerary sounds very dense and you'd spend most of your time on transport.

I can have only these 4 days to visit Guilin, taking trip again is doubtful. Atmost, I can start journey from HK to Guilin on Thursday evening so as to get early start on Friday. Will it help ?

monomono likes this.

When is China not busy?!?

Finally we zeroed in on Chimelong for Easter. We would be using Luohu port to cross border and considering 60-70 minutes for immigration clearance. I have few queries related to few aspects.

1. Train tickets
    We would be taking C series train from Shenzhen to Guangzhou East and local subway there after. From what I have read, we can either buy tickets online from ctrip and collect from station or buy them offline from Shenzhen station. Query here is how do we manage time ? If we book online from ctrip, how much time we should reserve to collect tickets and board train after immigration - as there would be some queue to collect tickets ? If going via offline route, how much time does it take to buy tickets and board train ? We would be taking same route during return journey too.

2. SIM card
    We would need SIM to make may be 3-4 short calls a day and data while not in hotel. From where can we get SIM easily and cost effectively ? Is it good idea if we get one in HK ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast