Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Rob2020
  • 2 Post By HK_Katherine
  • 4 Post By Shiojiri Hiro

Uber actual trip fare different to what is shown on app

Closed Thread

Uber actual trip fare different to what is shown on app

Trip was from new territories to Ngon Ping 360 cable cars. 495.90HKD was shown on the Uber app. Seconds later, l received an sms msg from HSBC informing me that 495.90HKD was charged, as expected. But after arrival, got another sms msg from HSBC informing me 552.78HKD was charged. l called up HSBC and they informed me first charge was cancelled but l was charged 552.78HKD. With Uber, I thought the price you see on the app is the price we pay? There were 3 of us and the route taken was as shown on the app. It seems impossible to contact Uber. Does anyone have a local number? l do still have the driver's number.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanof:
    Trip was from new territories to Ngon Ping 360 cable cars. 495.90HKD was shown on the Uber app. Seconds later, l received an sms msg from HSBC informing me that 495.90HKD was charged, as expected. But after arrival, got another sms msg from HSBC informing me 552.78HKD was charged. l called up HSBC and they informed me first charge was cancelled but l was charged 552.78HKD. With Uber, I thought the price you see on the app is the price we pay? There were 3 of us and the route taken was as shown on the app. It seems impossible to contact Uber. Does anyone have a local number? l do still have the driver's number.
    It's actually very easy to contact Uber.

Go into the Uber App --> Your trips --> Find the Trip --> Select the relevant option under "Help"
    In your case "review my fare or fees"

Let us know how it goes
    Fanof and spode like this.

I think the first SMS is a "hold" on the account and the second one is the actual payment. Some trips show estimate rather than actual amounts (they keep changing their policy on this so often its hard to keep up!). Different looks like toll fees to me.

Fanof and Kowloon Goon like this.

thanks for replies, Rob2020 and HK_Katherine, l just got into "Trip Details". please see attachments, seems quite deceiving for the app to initially inform you of the cost of the trip then when actual payment is made, ~10% added on. my last trip just over a week ago had an upfront charge of 194.15HKD, and actual price paid was that. That trip was was in the evening 1907, whereas last trip was at 0918 in the morning. so does HongKong Uber change their charging set up depending on time of day? https://help.uber.com/h/d2d43bbc-f4b...b-4bd8acf03a9d

Last edited by Fanof; 29-06-2018 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    It's actually very easy to contact Uber.

Go into the Uber App --> Your trips --> Find the Trip --> Select the relevant option under "Help"
    In your case "review my fare or fees"

Let us know how it goes
    l thought it would be easy as well, had tried that, but still cannot get to a contact number, You can try,

Quote Originally Posted by Fanof:
    l thought it would be easy as well, had tried that, but still cannot get to a contact number, You can try,
    You don't need a contact number... you write a message and they reply .. what's the problem?

Looks like the time factor kicks in for trips that take longer. Which is what happens with taxis too.

This happens all the time with Uber, especially in HK if the driver doesnt know the route very well and ends up doing a detour. The way the app works is that it will bill you the higher cost (eg if the driver took a scenic route due to being in the wrong lane and not being able to turn off the highway). If you do as per the above, the app will either automatically reduce the fare back to the one quoted or it will be escalated to someone. I once had a trip from Repulse bay quoted for $150 and they ended up trying to charge >$400 as the driver got lost and was in the wrong lane on the highway and missed several turns which clearly wasnt my fault. I followed the steps above and it was all resolved v quickly, leading me to believe that this happens all the time.

Hope that helps!