Like Tree52Likes

Nepal (Kathmandu) for a long weekend? Or somewhere else coolish...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Nepal (Kathmandu) for a long weekend? Or somewhere else coolish...

Looking for advice for a physically cool (25 degrees or under, about) location to do maybe a 4-day getaway in August just to get away from the heat. Something with about a 6-hour or less flight- seems there are some flights to Kathmandu from HK...

Have lived in Japan and HK for 10 year but never really traveled around Asia very much because I had a lot of family obligations back in the US (so when I traveled I always went back to the US).

But now I guess I want to explore some more...

But NOT anywhere hot. I guess there are parts of many countries that are cooler at higher altitudes and such.

Is Kathmandu recovered somewhat after the last earthquake? I know it's been a while but I thought it was pretty devastating. Is it interesting for a few days?

Don't know anything about other places like Bhutan...

Anyway, plenty open to suggestions...

(I had been looking at Ecuador as my daughter has an aunt there but my daughter is super busy at work so now looking locally...).

I've been to Kathmandu twice. And each time got out as soon as I could (including changing flight schedules). It is dusty and horrible. It's also not high enough for altitude to help with heat.

I can't think of anywhere nearby, doable in a weekend, that's not hot though. Beach holiday would be my suggestion.

The pale and pasty me is not genetically suited to a beach holiday- I grew up on Long Island near great beaches, mostly wasted on me (although we did tend to go late in the day not to get burned and spent all our time in the water). When my red-headed daughter was growing up we never went to do outside anything, swimming especially, before 4 PM. Even then she once burned where her hair was parted, the only part of her not covered in sunblock. It blistered and peeled for about a month. Sigh.

Maybe there are even some high-altitude places in China? Mongolia? India?

I suppose I could try Hokkaido but that is super expensive in August...everyone in Japan wants to go in August.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Maybe there are even some high-altitude places in China?
    Jiuzhaigou would definitely be 25°C and under, but might be a bit rushed for a 4-day trip. Maybe Lijiang?
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Altitude will solve the problem more than distance:
    Da Lat or Sapa, VN
    Cameron Highlands, MY
    Taiwanese Alps
    Lijiang, Yunnan, China

should all be within the total travel time you had in mind, even though there are not always direct flights.

Last edited by er2; 31-07-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    The pale and pasty me is not genetically suited to a beach holiday- I grew up on Long Island near great beaches, mostly wasted on me (although we did tend to go late in the day not to get burned and spent all our time in the water). When my red-headed daughter was growing up we never went to do outside anything, swimming especially, before 4 PM. Even then she once burned where her hair was parted, the only part of her not covered in sunblock. It blistered and peeled for about a month. Sigh.

Maybe there are even some high-altitude places in China? Mongolia? India?

I suppose I could try Hokkaido but that is super expensive in August...everyone in Japan wants to go in August.
    Benguet in the Philippines, around 21degrees at the moment, though likely to rain a lot of the time

Bhutan. It's amazing, great landscape, great people.

Kathmandu stinks, quite literally and is dusty as hell.

Name:  IMG_20170713_160721.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  2.63 MB

Songpan

Look it up.

Sri Lanka, under 6 hours flying, spectacular highlands.

shri and MABinPengChau like this.

Japanese or Taiwanese Alps, seconded. Fair bit of additional on the ground travel time for both though. Same with Sri Lanka.

Lijiang has far less local travel time, but is a bit of a mainland tourist hotspot.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast