Like Tree13Likes

A few days in Kyoto and Tokyo

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Wife and I are taking our U.S. phones. She gets international service for just $10 US/day. I have free (slow) data and SMS. Should be good enough between the two of us.
    Plenty of free WiFi hotspots available.

https://www.japanvisitor.com/japan-t...nternet-access
    huja likes this.

They probably have the most wifi spots around.. but that said, one necessity of tourist is to run google map (or any other replacement) when you are travelling from spots to spots.. i doubt u can get wifi in between buildings that easily...

We rented a pocket wifi from Crazyegg and it was HKD 25/day for unlimited 4G in Japan. Good speeds and service quality throughout the Kansai region.

The first time I went to Kyoto, I did one of the "one-day bus tour" thingees from Sunrise/JTB. It was good for me because I didn't know how to get to all the various temple/shrine locations. Super-touristy thing to do but provided a good overview. But if you've been there before and know what you want to see, easy enough to just go directly.

For Takao, I can second that it's a good maybe half-day trip- be sure to take the Keio line to Takao san guchi rather than the Chuo line to Takao. I used to live there and once got brave enough to go to Hirohito's burial site, also in Takao. Brought along a Japanese coworker as it's a pretty hardcore nationalist kind of place-even the guards came out of their booths to stare at me...people were praying or something in front of it...definitely a "different" experience. As is the War museum at the Yasakuni shrine, yeah, not a lot of westerners hanging out there either...

gigglinggal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    They probably have the most wifi spots around.. but that said, one necessity of tourist is to run google map (or any other replacement) when you are travelling from spots to spots.. i doubt u can get wifi in between buildings that easily...
    THat's why I use "Maps with me". You download the map in advance - no data required. Saves a heap of data and battery life of the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    THat's why I use "Maps with me". You download the map in advance - no data required. Saves a heap of data and battery life of the phone.
    The Google Maps App also allows you to download maps for offline use.

For Kyoto, I would recommend a day trip to the Kurama/Kifune Shrine area. It's about 1.5 hours away from Kyoto city center. You can visit Kifune shrine only or if you feel active, you can do the hike from Kurama to Kifune shrine.

https://www.insidekyoto.com/kurama-to-kibune-hike

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    The Google Maps App also allows you to download maps for offline use.
    This doesn't work for Japan.
    HK_Katherine likes this.