Like Tree33Likes

Living in New York

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

And then there is FATCA - prepare for your bank/brokers to have a bad reaction when you break the news to them.

If you have to sell stock, you may want to do it before setting foot in US - to
    avoid having to report it on your tax return.

Ask your company if they can help you file your first tax return, because you will struggle with that. First and last year are "dual status" years which TurboTax can not handle - only foreigners have dual status years.

I am currently living in NYC however relocating to HK in the next couple of months. This post is spot on about the differences:

https://www.quora.com/How-does-Hong-...-place-to-live

What it does not mention is life with a child. I am moving to HK as I would like to start a family in the next couple of years and that is the biggest reason I am moving out. Nannys are unaffordable unless you are highly paid ($80K USD a year), daycare can be anywhere from $20-30K a year.

MABinPengChau likes this.

Fantastic responses thank you all.

I’m having another chat with my CEO, it’s likely I’ll be able to visit prior to making a decision.

Thank you all.

Would be very hard to leave Hong Kong!

Elegiaque likes this.

I think that if you're originally from a Western country and have managed to adapt to HK, then visiting before moving isn't as critical as someone from the West considering a move to HK.

West -> HK involves a massive adjustment to noise, crowds, food. And lots of those really little but baffling local idiosyncrasies that get talked about a lot, like elevator usage, clueless pedestrians, laisee, etc.

When I moved briefly from here to NY, all of these disappeared. There is way more space, crowds were sparser and moved predictably, food options were easier to figure out, people were easier to figure out.

The gotchas will be the things that you can't tell from quick visit, such as whether you can put up with the extreme summers and winters year after year.

Overall, I think it's an easier place to adapt to than HK.

Elegiaque likes this.