Like Tree8Likes

Canada: can you get money with HSBC ATM?

Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadianflyer
    HSBC banks in Canada do NOT accept union pay at the ATM. 2 big banks that do are TD Canada Trust and CIBC. Youll find one of those on every street corner in Canada. I specifically had to close my HSBC account here and change banks in order to use my card for withdrawals in Canada. U need to activate your card here for international withdrawals and there is a transaction withdrawal limit at the machine of of 400$ Canadian per time. There is no way around this. That limit is set by the treasury board of Canada. You need to stand at the machine and do multiple transactions for up to 5000$CAD. If u need a large sum, consider a wire transfer instead. Most retail outlets do not support union pay either.
    That is not my experience, I have used the HSBC union pay debit card repeatedly in HSBC branches in Canada with no issues and I've taken out up to a maximum of 500CAD per transaction. That can be confirmed easily with a quick internet search, many banks allow up to 500CAD per transaction.

    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle30620889/

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    13

    The article that you refer to states....Of the five big banks, all except Toronto-Dominion allow UnionPay cards to be used in ATMs, and TD is expected to join in soon.

    HSBC is not one of the 5 big banks in Canada. They are:
    BMO
    CIBC
    Scotiabank
    TD (now has union pay since this article was written)
    Royal Bank


    so to answer the original question in the post, HSBC does not accept union pay for withdrawal at the machine.


  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,500

    You are clearly wrong about the merchants, also obviously wrong about the limit and wrong about the ATM card but if in doubt, check with HSBC in HK. A quick phone call will confirm it.

    https://www.unionpayintl.com/en/medi...s/221759.shtml
    https://www.unionpayintl.com/cardhol...n&globalCard=y

    From an old article:
    An HSBC spokesman said: "For security reasons, we are allowed to link to only one pay system - we use UnionPay."

    He added that ATM card customers can withdraw cash from all HSBC ATMs in the world - except in Argentina, Brazil, France, Greece, Malta, New Zealand, Panama and Turkey - as well as from ATMs covered by the UnionPay network.


  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Golem
    He added that ATM card customers can withdraw cash from all HSBC ATMs in the world - except in Argentina, Brazil, France, Greece, Malta, New Zealand, Panama and Turkey - as well as from ATMs covered by the UnionPay network.

    That sounds nice until you realize there are shitloads of countries without an HSBC presence that don't accept Unionpay. Having to run around a place in holiday trying to find the one magic ATM that takes the stupid Unionpay cards is a pain in the ass. Just get rid of it and get a proper card. Cirrus and Plus work on very ATM, no running around required.
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 10-02-2019 at 09:01 AM.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,500
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    That sounds nice until you realize there are shitloads of countries without an HSBC presence that don't accept Unionpay. Having to run around a place in holiday trying to find the one magic ATM that takes the stupid Unionpay cards is a pain in the ass. Just get rid of it and get a proper card.
    Said that already...
    Bernadette J W likes this.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    13

    Not getting in a tit for tat. When youre stranded with no cash at a HSBC ATM that wont accept union pay card, youll realize unless theyve changed all the machines in the last 15min as I was just at one in Toronto that did not accept union pay.

    Good luck


  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadianflyer
    Not getting in a tit for tat. When youre stranded with no cash at a HSBC ATM that wont accept union pay card, youll realize unless theyve changed all the machines in the last 15min as I was just at one in Toronto that did not accept union pay.

    Good luck
    Considering the incorrect information you are providing, you certainly don't seem like a reliable source. Even if that were to happen, there are clearly loads of options in Canada so no one will be stranded without cash. As I said, a quick phone call can confirm it one way or another instead of unreliable sources here
    Bernadette J W likes this.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    13

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,567
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    What's with people still using the Unionpay cards? They are completely pointless outside of China. Just ask HSBC to send you a Visa Plus ATM card and cut up the other one.
    This is what I did when I had an HSBC account, many years ago.
    Last edited by jgl; 10-02-2019 at 02:45 PM.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    290

    I'm just gonna say there's no guarantee an ATM will work with your HK issued HSBC card just because an ATM says it accepts CUP.

    Sources: the Canadian poster and myself (recently)


Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast