Like Tree8Likes

Canada: can you get money with HSBC ATM?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

TD worked fine in various locations but an ATM at the aiport that specified unionpay didn't work and this was my experince in Korea as well... although it worked fine in Europe in several ATMs.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond
    I'm just gonna say there's no guarantee an ATM will work with your HK issued HSBC card just because an ATM says it accepts CUP.

Sources: the Canadian poster and myself (recently)
    Agreed, Canada is always the country with the biggest challenge for me to get some cash with HSBC debit card, I typically use the creditcard instead as a lot of ATMs simply dont accept it, even if the signs suggest otherwise.

Could it be that the people here having trouble to get C$ from a UnionPay ATM in Canada had their overseas ATM withdrawal limit set to zero?

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    Could it be that the people here having trouble to get C$ from a UnionPay ATM in Canada had their overseas ATM withdrawal limit set to zero?
    Not me, I am travelling at least 200 days on a yearly basis and Canada (as well as Taiwan) is where I have the most issues getting ATMs to surrender cash to me. None of these issues in other countries I travel to in Asia, Europe, North- or South America.
    civil_servant likes this.

Many years ago i heard of this issue, if a country's ATM accepts only 4 digit pin and an international ATM card uses 6 digits, or vice versa, it wldn't work.

Not sure if there are still such conflict of operation

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    What's with people still using the Unionpay cards? They are completely pointless outside of China. Just ask HSBC to send you a Visa Plus ATM card and cut up the other one.
    I completely agreed with this statement back in 2013 when both HSBC and Standard Chartered switched their ATM cards over from Plus/Cirrus to UnionPay at the same time in what appeared to be some big Chinese conspiracy. Then they buckled under consumer pressure to offer a choice and customers are able to select either UnionPay or Plus/Cirrus which they still offer to this day. But if you don't say anything then UnionPay is the default.

Fast forward to 2019 and it's not a big deal anymore. UnionPay is accepted in almost every country around the world in one form or another. Maybe not at every single bank and ATM machine. But if one doesn't work, there is another around the corner that does. The advantage of UnionPay is lower fees, better exchange rates. You save money using Unionpay. If you want to have a Cirrus/Plus card, you pay more for that convenience.

My wife and I share one bank account. Her card is a UnionPay, mine is a Plus/Cirrus. So when travelling together, we have the best of both worlds. If her card doesnt work, mine will. Back a few years ago in Japan, mine would only work in Japan post office machines, and hers would only work in the 7/11 ATM machines (or vice versa I cant remember). But these days they both work fine, but still UnionPay is cheaper.

Finally, with a HSBC Visa Signature credit card that I use exclusively for overseas spending, I get 5.6% cashback. I realise that the Visa card has shit rates, but the cashback more than makes up for this. So I put all my overseas spending as much as possible on this card, it works with tap and go, apple pay, etc in most countries around the world. Even if I'm buying a drink in a 7/11 or something tiny I will use credit card, so my need for cash overseas these days has been reduced dramatically.
    Drunken Master likes this.

I had no problem at all the last time i was in Canada (2 years ago).

I found it difficult to use Union Pay in Central and South America

Quote Originally Posted by Golem
    As I said, a quick phone call can confirm it one way or another instead of unreliable sources here
    Asking the HSBC HK Call Centre agent about HSBC Canada ATMs is probably less reliable than people on Geoexpat who have actually tried the ATMs.

It doesn't seem like HSBC shows up in the UnionPay ATM locator for Vancouver: ATM??

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm
    Not me, I am travelling at least 200 days on a yearly basis and Canada (as well as Taiwan) is where I have the most issues getting ATMs to surrender cash to me. None of these issues in other countries I travel to in Asia, Europe, North- or South America.
    Perhaps frosty relations then.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast