Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Canada: can you get money with HSBC ATM?

Canada: can you get money with HSBC ATM?

Just asking on behalf: Can you get money in Canada with a HK HSBC ATM card? Card has the Union Pay logo.

Destination is Vancouver. Person has no credit card

At least it should work in the HSBC ATMs - HSBC has many branches in Vancouver.

Yes, it's not a problem in Canada, there are many HSBC branches and you can take out a fair bit in one day but only 500CAD in one transaction. You can also use your HSBC credit card if you activate it and use the more common Cirrus and Plus but I believe there are extra charges.

flameproof likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem
    Yes, it's not a problem in Canada, there are many HSBC branches and you can take out a fair bit in one day but only 500CAD in one transaction. You can also use your HSBC credit card if you activate it and use the more common Cirrus and Plus but I believe there are extra charges.

HSBC debit cards are Unionpay if I am not mistaken. Means you need to select Unionpay when making a withdraw - it the ATMs aren't able to detect automatically, which I am sure for HSBC.

I have been in other Asia countries and was unable to withdraw from some ATMs even though it worked on another. Just try it, OP. You will be able to get it out no worries.

What's with people still using the Unionpay cards? They are completely pointless outside of China. Just ask HSBC to send you a Visa Plus ATM card and cut up the other one.

East_coast and jgl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond
    HSBC debit cards are Unionpay if I am not mistaken. Means you need to select Unionpay when making a withdraw - it the ATMs aren't able to detect automatically, which I am sure for HSBC.

I have been in other Asia countries and was unable to withdraw from some ATMs even though it worked on another. Just try it, OP. You will be able to get it out no worries.
    Yes the debit card is Union Pay but not the credit cards and you can access your savings account with those too. I threw out my debit card years ago. It's close to being useless outside of Asia.

All major banks in Canada support Unionpay. One can even do direct purchases at various malls and outlets in Toronto and Vancouver. Unionpay is one of the cheapest ways to get money out of your bank account when overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem
    You should check your overseas withdrawal limit. You can set it up to HKD50000. I've taken out $1500 in Canada once no problem. The withdrawal fee for UnionPay is $20 vs $40 for your credit card. Plus you'll also save on the exchange rate.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    You should check your overseas withdrawal limit. You can set it up to HKD50000. I've taken out $1500 in Canada once no problem. The withdrawal fee for UnionPay is $20 vs $40 for your credit card. Plus you'll also save on the exchange rate.
    Yes I have taken out a couple of thousands in one go but I needed to insert the card four times, hence four transactions. I don't really care about 20HKD so I'll stick with the one card only but thanks for pointing it out.
    civil_servant likes this.

HSBC banks in Canada do NOT accept union pay at the ATM. 2 big banks that do are TD Canada Trust and CIBC. Youll find one of those on every street corner in Canada. I specifically had to close my HSBC account here and change banks in order to use my card for withdrawals in Canada. U need to activate your card here for international withdrawals and there is a transaction withdrawal limit at the machine of of 400$ Canadian per time. There is no way around this. That limit is set by the treasury board of Canada. You need to stand at the machine and do multiple transactions for up to 5000$CAD. If u need a large sum, consider a wire transfer instead. Most retail outlets do not support union pay either.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast