Like Tree17Likes

Booking China high speed rail tickets

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Have you been to Shaoguan? Takes less than 2 hours to get there.

There's Nanling National Forest park, Guangdong's last remaining virgin forests, and Mount Danxia.
    No, not heard of that but sounds good. I will have a look.

I have bought tickets on the MTR website but I haven't collected them. Non-Chinese PR. Travelling on Ching Ming holiday.
    @Fei88 you recommended 75 minutes before departure. Does this including collecting tickets with a passport? Should I leave more time because it is a public holiday?

Also do they sell food on the trains or I should pack my own?

Any others tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Have you been to Shaoguan? Takes less than 2 hours to get there.

There's Nanling National Forest park, Guangdong's last remaining virgin forests, and Mount Danxia.

Thanks - will look into this.

Quote Originally Posted by AmRa6:
    @Fei88 you recommended 75 minutes before departure. Does this including collecting tickets with a passport? Should I leave more time because it is a public holiday?

Also do they sell food on the trains or I should pack my own?

Any others tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Give an extra 10 mins for ticket collection. There are ticket check and security check before proceeding to immigration and holiday time they get very busy. Depending on the time of your departure..but

I would get there 2 hours before departure. No kidding.

Food on train? They do have a food and drinks service..i would never have a meal on board. I suggest you pack yourself or buy from shops in station but allow extra time for that. Starbucks, chinese food and sandwich vendors and 7/11.

After clearing immigration, there is absolutely nothing in boarding area, just bathrooms unfortunately.
    AmRa6 likes this.

For online purchase, I use ctrip to buy train tickets, but even if you purchased the ticket online you need to print out your ticket. You need to go to the normal ticket counter at the station and queue up in the same way as you want to buy a ticket. Then, just give your passport, show your e-ticket reservation number (even can show on your phone), then get your train ticket. In this case, you should arrive at the train station at least 40 mins prior to the departure time leaving enough time for security checks, queues at the counter to buy or print the ticket, and wait for train boarding.
    Otherwise, you can buy a train ticket at any train station. The ticket might be purchased for the same day train or for the following 30 days. You can pay with cash, Chinese bank card, as well as wechat-wallet or Alipay.

You will definitely need to prepare your own meal and drinks! The food on trains is awful like instant noodles, not much choice, drinks are expensive too.

Any updates on this? Can I get a ticket at the station like a normal train service? Just need to go to Guangzhou

I guess not!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I guess not!

You can just buy at the counter upto 30 days in advance.
    Same day purchase better arrive at least an hour in advance and expect a 10 min queue.

You must have hrp or passport to buy tickets.

If you have hrp ; you can use ticket kiosks without lining up.

You can also buy tickets online at mtr's high speed website ; and just pick up at station. This has a special counter and usually no lines.
    https://www.highspeed.mtr.com.hk/en/main/index.html

I suggest the last option if you don't want to make an extra trip to station just to buy the ticket.
    shri and HK_Katherine like this.

I'll be travelling on Thursday night - any idea if there are long queues etc? Actually trying to get to Guangzhou Airport - seems a right palaver from this train but I cannot see any faster way.