Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree15Likes

Cathay buys HK Express

Quote Originally Posted by emx
    The major shareholder, Swire is Hong Kong based.
    Who's right? I suspect this is not very transparent.

Cathay Pacific is not Hong Kong’s airline. Hong Kong does not have an airline. Cathay Pacific is the Swire group’s airline. It’s a 45 per cent owned subsidiary of Swire Pacific, which in turn is a subsidiary of the London-based John Swire & Sons.
    https://www.scmp.com/business/compan...ilege-costs-us
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque
    You realize Cathay is not locally owned?
    Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque
    Who's right? I suspect this is not very transparent.

https://www.scmp.com/business/compan...ilege-costs-us
    Yawn, Jake.

To be local, you need to have the blessings of Superman and Sons.

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    Good for Cathay trying to get into the LCC market. It should offer some good competition in the regional market. I rather have Cathay trying bring a new product to market than AirAsia or Jetstar dominating the entire region.

I wonder if they'll accept Asia Miles?
    Nothing wrong with Cathay getting into the LCC market. It's about time and they are very late to the party. But becoming a monopoly in HK (full and LCC) is a problem, and the government rejecting applications from other carriers such s Jetstar is a problem, especially when Jetstar was rejected for being foreign when Cathay is foreign themselves (two thirds of Cathay's voiting rights are in London and 30% is owned by Air China).

Also I don't think Jetstar or AirAsia dominate much around the region. Jetstar is big in Australia, but fairly small elsewhere. eg In Japan they compete with Vanilla Air, Peach, in Singapore they compete with Scoot, I dont think they are dominant anywhere. Air Asia is big in Malaysia but then in every other country they are just one of a bunch of choices.
    East_coast and MerMer like this.

I hope Cathay don't get into the same boat as every other airline who tried to run a LCC with a FSC mindset and ended up giving it up and losing a ton of money.

Paxbritannia and Skyhook like this.

Watch exHKG airfares skyrocket...!

Looking on the bright side, now less likely we will see an A320-sized smoking hole in the ground in HK anytime soon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2