• 4 Post By East_coast
  • 1 Post By Kowloon Goon
  • 1 Post By MandM!
  • 2 Post By GeoTommy
  • 2 Post By shri

Well done KMB - Using solar panels

Closed Thread

Well done KMB - Using solar panels

Solar panels are used to reduce the heat build-up when the bus is parked-up by around 10 Deg C reducing air-con energy needed and making for a more pleasent journey from the terminus.
    The Kowloon Motor Bus Co. (1933) Ltd 九龍巴士(一九三三)

Still no roll-out schedule

Lights and mosquito traps powered by solar cells for bus shelters with no power currently. Starting to see these appear. Wish the could add a fan!
    The Kowloon Motor Bus Co. (1933) Ltd 九龍巴士(一九三三)

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Lights and mosquito traps powered by solar cells for bus shelters with no power currently. Starting to see these appear. Wish the could add a fan!

I contacted the bus companies 10 years ago offering that lol anyway good to see something is happening.

I wonder how well they will do after the rain with the low hanging trees smacking into them?

Original Post Deleted
    I don't think it is just tokenism. Solar powered mosquito traps and lights at rural bus stops are very welcome. 600 stops to be done

Original Post Deleted
    We get it... Japan is better than Hong Kong.
    MandM! likes this.

Except the US. Haha.

At the airport doesn't benefit everyday commutes. US buses pollute like hell, infrequent, crash, not safe, get robbed on the bus, all sorts of problems.

HK buses are clean (inside). Yes they could switch to electric and I think it'd save them money, maybe it's not practical when buses need to go up hills and run almost round the clock and at capacity.

Japan is great, minus its people

I'd take HK anyday with the freedom to do whatever the F I want. Japan is too procedural for me, everyone seems the same. I appreciate seeing the differences.

Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Yes they could switch to electric and I think it'd save them money, maybe it's not practical when buses need to go up hills and run almost round the clock and at capacity.
    A lot of the shorter estate-to-MTR-station routes are flat (especially in Kowloon and NT), so I don't see why they can't go electric for those routes first and slowly upgrade the whole fleet as the batteries get even better.

I had mentioned it in this thread previously: https://geoexpat.com/forum/53/thread...ml#post3617470
    shri and TheBrit like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I don't think this was about saving energy but enhancing customer service.

Clean buses are more expensive so either need a hefty subsidy or mandating by law. As we are aware the current administration is not able to write laws for improving Hong Kong so expect a subsidy at some point when technology is so mature HK is laughably behind the rest of the world rather than a few leading jurisdictions

Original Post Deleted
    Perhaps we can design mosquito killing lasers that also do retinal scans when the driver stops at the bus stop. If the driver appears to be tired / sleepy, a quick zap will wake them up.

Innovation!
    chuckster007 and TheBrit like this.