Like Tree40Likes

Daily work commute from North Point to Central

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quite simple this. Get to the platform before 8 and you’ll almost certainly get on the first train, second at worst. Any later than that and it begins to get interesting but usually no more than 3 trains and at around 830 they helpfully send an empty one in.

As others have said it isn’t the worst experience in the world apart from the occasional unwashed armpit or sniffing season!

There is also the option of taking the bus.

There is a tram station on Chun Yeung street where the tram starts and stops so you can get seats there.

When it is cooler, walking is not too bad from Central to North Point. Locals will think you are crazy, but used to take me about an hour and 15 mins. Stop off half-way in Causeway Bay for some dinner and maybe a drink in Tai Hang.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon Goon:

Bring breath mints.
    To hand out?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    To hand out?
    Exactly!!

I work in Wan Chai sometimes, my job starts at 8, I can leave at 7:20 am from Jordan and still make it in on time.

Why don’t you take the bus? There are several 722, 18x, 18P). You can see which one is faster and has more seats. I can vouch for 18X almost always having seats. And it’s pretty fast.

shri and MatthieuTofu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by foreverhobbes:
    Why don’t you take the bus? There are several 722, 18x, 18P). You can see which one is faster and has more seats. I can vouch for 18X almost always having seats. And it’s pretty fast.
    18X is fast, it runs through the new Central - Wan Chai bypass which means no stopping in Wan Chai.

However, the problem is that it operates at 20-minute interval in peak hour! 722 does not go through North Point, and 18P is not fast enough when compared to the underground.
    shri and MatthieuTofu like this.

Is it me or HK's public transport congestion keeps deteriorating?
    From what I can observe on my taxi trips the time spent stuck in traffic keeps increasing...

One excellent thing about the Hong Kong MTR is that if you are taken ill, you will be well looked after and an ambulance will arrive to take you to hospital. Hopefully this will not happen of course. There are plenty of staff to help you.