Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Air Asia - Only Accepting HSBC notes?

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    Don't all the bills say something like "Promises to pay the bearer on demand at it's offices 100 Hong Kong Dollars"? So the pieces of paper aren't even HKD, just promissory notes.
    Always wondered about that.

I guess the only way they can really pay you is with coins and not other promissory notes.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    Did you ask them why they dont accept other bank notes, did they ignore you??
    Its a very strange thing they would only accept HSBC notes, thank fook i bank with HSBC only so they accepted my notes on a recent flight 2 months ago to Phuket LOL
    Didn't ask. Just found some HK ones in my wallet. I thought it might be to do with forgery? I have always found it odd that there are different types of notes from different banks in HK. Not sure whether this is unusual or its just the UK thats unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Always wondered about that.

I guess the only way they can really pay you is with coins and not other promissory notes.
    Surely all paper money in all currencies are just promissory notes.
    certainly UK paper notes say the same type of thing (from memory)
    hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs
    It's because HSBC did not apply for and receive a Virtual Banking licence.

j/k
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    Yes is true and I had to switch to paying by credit card on a recent Air Asia flight because they wouldn't accept my Standard Chartered HKD notes. But given they are a Malaysian carrier not selling anything whilst in Hong Kong airspace so they are not obliged to accept HKD payments at all and they do just out of convenience. All their pricing is in MYR and they have a calculator on the cart they use to convert to HKD. They probably give you a shithouse exchange rate anyway so don't pay in HKD!
    They wouldn't take my UK credit card. Exchange rate was ok though - pretty much what my conversion app was stating and it usually gives a good rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe
    Surely all paper money in all currencies are just promissory notes.
    certainly UK paper notes say the same type of thing (from memory)
    Except that in HK they're issued by private banks. So if you want to get cash for a SCB note, would you walk into SCB and ask them for an HSBC note? Or at some point if you trust the govt, you'd have to take your cash in govt issued coins?
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

"promise to pay the bearer" language is a legacy of the days when paper notes were backed by gold and the promise to pay was a promise to redeem the note(s) for the stated equivalent in gold (usually at a fixed exchange rate).

jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Except that in HK they're issued by private banks. So if you want to get cash for a SCB note, would you walk into SCB and ask them for an HSBC note? Or at some point if you trust the govt, you'd have to take your cash in govt issued coins?
    I hope my savings would be long gone to other jurisdictions and other currencies if things ever got so bad that I didn't have faith in HK dollars issued by HSBC, BOCHK or SCB.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Going off high school economics class, legal tender is what someone must accept for payment of a debt. Other than that, a seller can specify being paid in any way that they want, e.g. they might only accept payment in heads of romaine lettuce over a certain length.
    I know! I'm forever left with a walletfull of underlength salad leaves. Bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01
    Imagine everyone carrying romaine effing lettuce in their hand-carry. Banks would go (pea)nuts.
    They could store them in the overhead cabbage.
    bbchris likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast