Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Air Asia - Only Accepting HSBC notes?

Air Asia - Only Accepting HSBC notes?

A slight aside to this question but yesterday flying on Air Asia I tried to buy some food in HKD but they would only accept HSBC notes. Is this common?

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe
    A slight aside to this question but yesterday flying on Air Asia I tried to buy some food in HKD but they would only accept HSBC notes. Is this common?
    They won’t accept BOC or Standard Charter notes?!?

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine
    Nope

It's because HSBC did not apply for and receive a Virtual Banking licence.

j/k

Did you ask them why they dont accept other bank notes, did they ignore you??
    Its a very strange thing they would only accept HSBC notes, thank fook i bank with HSBC only so they accepted my notes on a recent flight 2 months ago to Phuket LOL

Didn’t know Legal Tender has its limitations

Morrison likes this.

bdw

Yes is true and I had to switch to paying by credit card on a recent Air Asia flight because they wouldn't accept my Standard Chartered HKD notes. But given they are a Malaysian carrier not selling anything whilst in Hong Kong airspace so they are not obliged to accept HKD payments at all and they do just out of convenience. All their pricing is in MYR and they have a calculator on the cart they use to convert to HKD. They probably give you a shithouse exchange rate anyway so don't pay in HKD!

shri likes this.

Going off high school economics class, legal tender is what someone must accept for payment of a debt. Other than that, a seller can specify being paid in any way that they want, e.g. they might only accept payment in heads of romaine lettuce over a certain length.
    juanalias likes this.

Don't all the bills say something like "Promises to pay the bearer on demand at it's offices 100 Hong Kong Dollars"? So the pieces of paper aren't even HKD, just promissory notes.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    e.g. they might only accept payment in heads of romaine lettuce over a certain length.
    Imagine everyone carrying romaine effing lettuce in their hand-carry. Banks would go (pea)nuts.
    Andy SNK likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast