Like Tree60Likes

Temperature in Penang and Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    We moved the two dogs using Dr Jerry:- https://www.petexportvet.com. Good service and price, and unlike the other competitor is run by a qualified vet which is a definate plus.

Thankfully quarantine was only a week as the kennels are very hot, and my two did not like that at all, but the staff were great.

While I am at it a big shout out to https://www.ags-globalsolutions.com/en/ who moved us without breaking so much as a single glass.
    Any way around the quarantine? Only a week but must be tough on the dogs. Not sure what they'd be looking for in a week?

Thank you for sharing the experience

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    Any way around the quarantine? Only a week but must be tough on the dogs. Not sure what they'd be looking for in a week?

Thank you for sharing the experience
    It is possible to apply for home quarantine, but in practice it is very rarely given.

We applied in HK, and it was refused, and we applied again after 2 days in Penang, also refused. This is for a blind 11 yo dog whose rear legs were giving out on her (thankfully recovered now). Even the kennel staff said it was a total waste of time and money.
    Fiona in HKG and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    I owned both a house (including the land) and a flat in Japan. Yes, it gets hot in August, in Tokyo, June and July mostly not very hot due to the rainy season.

Attractive areas- Sendai, cooler than Tokyo, some tourism (granted, post 2011 not sure how that got affected).

Kobe is a great area, a little hotter but a small international community.

I lived in a hilly area an hour outside Tokyo (Takao), my flat cost 90k US for 700 square feet 3 bedroom and 300 square foot garden. Old house was about 70k US.
    It was cooler by a couple of degrees from downtown Tokyo and the air was lovely as I got off the train each evening and rode my bike home...

I was on a work visa with a Japanese patent firm, if you get in on ANY visa, can change employers (or not work) for the remainder of the three-year visa (those were the rules when I was there, not sure if they changed). So, for example, could go in on an English-teaching job then run your Internet business or whatever on the side, perfectly legal. Including quitting said job and working online.

The further you are from Tokyo, the more Japanese you need to know- I was about the only foreigner in my town apart from some Mormon missionaries.
    Did you make any money when you sold those places? It's tempting to own something like that and never worry about landlords. But I just saw some news that vacancy rates now in Japan are multi year high, if it doesn't make sense financially, I would rather just rent forever.

Broke even which was good enough so lived rent free for a bit.

Held about 3 years, again it was a "lifestyle choice" (place that allows cats, ground floor, cats had a garden) more than an investment- I also was planning to stay longer but the aftermath of 2008 put an end to that...so I sold in 2009 which was not a great year, worldwide...
    But, truly, property NEVER appreciates in Japan- only the land, which you don't get in a condo. The houses last about as long as the mortgage and then may be torn down and start over. After the mortgage they are worth very little, only the land. Condos are also often torn down and start over but a little longer, maybe 40-50 years.

shri and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Penang may be great and better than HK overall, but I find it hard to believe the weather to be a strong selling point. With only one season all year round and as you point out yourself between lunch time and 6pm is unbearable to step outside. If you've only been there 2 months you are still in your honeymoon, lets get your thoughts again after 5-10 years of the same weather day in and day out
    I also found HK pretty unbearable in the summer between those hours, and rarely ventured out in the afternoon, so nothing new here. The advantage of Pen. is the cooling down in the evenings which HK didn't have. Right now there is a lovely breeze going through the flat with a temp around 26/27 deg.

Trust me the honeymoon was over a long time ago, and the rose tinted specs firmly in the recycle bin. I have been coming here. Ipoh, Malaca and KL for 23 years on and off visiting the wife's rellies and am well aware of the bad as well as good points. If you would like a heated rant on admin/flat management companies/bureaucracy/traffic management/online deliveries/Lazarda/general pen pushing jobsworths and immigration plse ask.

Generally life is pretty easy. English is widely spoken, and the people friendly. There are world class doctors,dentists(all UK trained) and hospitals within a few minutes drive. If you are not looking for wild nightlife,maybe just a few good bars and lots of resteraunts, Penang is certainly a place to consider. Some will love it, others not so much.

Gratuitous pic of Penang attached.
    Name:  ff1393ee-0e64-48fb-a68e-58970df62450.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  91.5 KB
    shri, hullexile, jgl and 7 others like this.

I went to Penang for a quick business trip and even though it was only for 2 days, I quite liked it especially the food stalls with the delicious and cheap foods.

i know some local HK Chinese friends that bought apartments there and moved there and my God sister is looking to buy and move there as well. I wouldnt mind moving there either, I like the heat so it doesnt bother me, not looking forward to the cold in UK

imparanoic likes this.

Cough cough from Penang, haze coming in from Indonesia.

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2019-09-04 at 10.04.10.jpeg
Views: 300
Size:  48.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Cough cough from Penang, haze coming in from Indonesia.

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2019-09-04 at 10.04.10.jpeg
Views: 300
Size:  48.0 KB
    Hey, the view from your flat (without the haze) very similar to the view from my flat in KL.

Name:  IMG_2885.JPG
Views: 259
Size:  282.0 KB

But do you have a clubhouse swimming pool upstairs that leaking into your flat too?

Name:  ceiling.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  37.1 KB

Bloody shoddy Malaysian construction standards. Have to keep ripping my ceiling open every 6 months for the last 3 years.
    Cwbguy likes this.

talking about workmanship in malaysia.. reminded me of this time i went to rent a service apartment for a weekend stay in johor bahru, from one of the listed developer. the apartment is still under the 6% p.a. rental guarantee so it was rented out to weekend visitors..

nicely, in the bed room, is this full length window that when you look out you can see half the city of johor bahru from the tall 20++ storey.. similar views to what is in the photos above...
    but on the window, these is a sticker with this warning, 'DANGER, do not lean on the window'...

8-)

shri likes this.