Like Tree11Likes

Do courier flights still exit?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I remember back in the early 90th I saw constantly ads for courier flights in the newspaper (newspaper where read frequently at that time). Another big thing then where Milk Runs, where you bring some usually illicit goods (not milk, but not drugs either) to some place. I recall that one Lamma dude got arrested with gold at Kathmandu airport.

Or in a similar matter, is there a way to monetize your unused luggage allowance? I am only interested in totally legal options.

You could put a few cans of milk powder up your rear and take the high speed train north

I remember seeing them ads back in the day in SCMP, always wanted to try but couldnt be arsed.

https://www.gonomad.com/6364-air-cou...t-their-appeal

HK_Katherine and spode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    I remember seeing them ads back in the day in SCMP, always wanted to try but couldnt be arsed.
    Same, never did it. Once I was asked if I wanted a trip to Europe, business class return, only hand lugguage allowed. Was from a friend that ran a cargo company and it was electronic components, I was told. I wanted to but had a client coming and had to stay.

The risk can be calculated. Or isn't there, like, when you get ask to buy stuff overseas to bring back to HK.
    shri likes this.

I watch a bit too much Locked Up Abroad in my spare time so I beg to differ.

I remember there was an app a couple of years ago which allows you to sell some luggage space. Not sure if it is still around and if it was legal.

I also heard from local friends there are some cheap or free holidays you can get where you can only take hand carry, and its a really short trip (like maybe 2 days in Milan), and you buy stuff for the organisers e.g. brand name clothes, food, local products etc. to take in your main luggage. I guess they avoid the import tax and the profit selling in HK covers the flight and hotels.

Yes, they do.
    I know of one company that regularly gives work but that work is not paid much (just some expenses) and given to friends with not much todo.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    ....Was from a friend that ran a cargo company
    Yup, just like that. I know a different friend that runs a fairly sizeable cargo company out of Hong Kong and he regularly uses couriers, but never advertises. He has enough friends around that are not doing much, willing to fly to wherever for 1/2 day, have a nice dinner and back...

I was offered this but :
    a) I don't have time
    b) What time I do have is more valuable than a bit of free food and not much else....
    drumbrake and bbchris like this.

I did one of these flights many moons ago, early 90s, delivering contract documents, witnessing them being signed, then returning them again. That was HK > lunch in London, then back to HK again same day.

It didn't pay much, but was an interesting experience when I was young and green.

chuckster007, Skyhook and jgl like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast