Like Tree17Likes

What would U do in Bangkok?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bangkok is a city I absolutely love. There is a hell of a lot to do there though. What are you most interested in doing?

Going to Ayuthaya is a good shout. The trains are pretty slow, and It's much quicker by bus; but, if you're interested in a train journey and are willing to wake up early enough, it would be a good day trip.

I also very much enjoyed my visit to the snake farm. It's run by the Red Cross to make anti-venom for people who suffer from snake bites. It's worth a good hour or two as you'll learn lots about snakes.

I'd also recommend staying away from the river. Whilst I've never found taxis in Bangkok to be that bad (only once did anyone try to cheat me with a dodgy meter), the traffic can be horrendous. A hotel near the sky train would be better. My preference is somewhere around Silom or the top of Sukhumvit (Say up to Soi 17 or so). There are a few 'seedy' streets like around Patpong market or Soi Cowboy, but otherwise these are great areas with plenty to buy, see and eat with great public transport connections.

spode likes this.

The good thing about the taxis is that they have air con and are fairly inexpensive.
    Some of them don't want to turn on the meter - and some of them get creative when
    adding up fees for the multiple toll roads. But overall not too many bad experiences.

I once had one from the airport who covered the meter with a cloth so I couldn't read it.
    I thought it might be rigged, but in the end the fare seemed to be reasonable - so not sure
    what that was about.

I did hear about an American who got stabbed to death over a minor fare dispute - but don't worry about that.

Thanying Restaurant | on Soi Pramuan off Silom

https://www.zanotti-ristorante.com/

Home

I can vouch for these

Taxis are generally fine - it's the congestion and getting stuck in traffic which is a pain. I also use Grab in Bangkok. Means fewer miscommunications with taxis.

..you can try to download some apps like Agoda for accommodation bookings around Asia we stayed in triple two silom boutique hotel very clean and good value for money. Download also Grab taxi apps as an option for transport its a bit of challenge to deal with taxi drivers in Bangkok, try to use the boat and tuktuk for commute and experience. We did a Thai cooking lessons which was very interesting in Phuket but they do have it in Bangkok as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    Not into late nights drinking or whoring, .
    So during the day....