Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree15Likes

Have U used AirBnB in Asia?

bdw

I've had mostly positive experiences with AirBnB. But it is hit and miss. That's part of the fun seeing what you will get .

One place I stayed in Okinawa, the door was left open, I walked in and there was a big fat shirtless tattooed Japanese yakuza type guy passed out on the couched. I couldn't wake him for 20 minutes. We were standing around him wondering what to do. Finally when he woke up he apologised and got out a broom and started cleaning, then he left. Anyway this place was only for one night when we arrived late in Okinawa and moved on to collect our hire car and drive up to the resort the next day. Was a great start to the holiday and our introduction to Okinawa!

Elegiaque and chuckster007 like this.

I have only used Airbnb once and it was in Quebec City. I encourage my son the budget traveller to use Airbnb so I know how it works. Generally a super host is preferred and more photos the better. I do prefer a hotel but for personal travel and I do a lot of it in Asia paying US$100 a night is the absolute limit. But lately paying for a mid range hotel does not guarantee peace and quiet. Slamming doors and loud conversation in the hallway at 2am is getting to be the new normal so I am looking for alternatives for Tokyo for example where the Hyatt or Marriott would be way too expensive.

I've had good experiences in Osaka, Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Only book if it has a lot of excellent reviews and no bad ones. Be extremely fussy with the reviews and you should be fine. I'm not sure how people continued to book after TheBrit's review!

It's a bit like shopping on Tao Bao in that respect. You can get amazing value but beware of complete rubbish too.

MandM! likes this.

It’s the same as choosing a hotel... you need to research properly, look at reviews, photos and “read between the lines”. We have had a great place in Taipei, a not so great place in Taipei and several great places in Europe. It all depends on doing some research. And in fairness ... also looking at price is a fairly good indicator.. if it is cheap then there most likely is a reason for that. I am a Airbnb host myself with property in Europe and really like the concept.

blueagles likes this.

In some of the reservations, I see that the host will be there to open the door.
    While for others, you self-check-in and get the key in a box with a code.
    Isn't the former a better option ?...

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    In some of the reservations, I see that the host will be there to open the door.
    While for others, you self-check-in and get the key in a box with a code.
    Isn't the former a better option ?...
    Not necessarily. Sometimes you don't want to have to chat, if it's late and you're tired.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86
    I've had good experiences in Osaka, Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Only book if it has a lot of excellent reviews and no bad ones. Be extremely fussy with the reviews and you should be fine. I'm not sure how people continued to book after TheBrit's review!

It's a bit like shopping on Tao Bao in that respect. You can get amazing value but beware of complete rubbish too.
    Easy, you delete that listing as a host and create a new one. Review gone

I've used in the US, Taiwan, and New Zealand and have been quite happy with the experience.

I attempted to rent out my old place in Sheung Wan where apparently it was strictly forbidden by the property (my bad, I didn't double check my lease terms). My old landlord threatened to take me to court for breach of contract.

About a month later the freaking security guards started posting photos of alleged AirBnB customers on the public notice board (apparently I wasn't the only person in the building to rent out their places). Between this AirBnB experience and the demise of Uber it seems that culturally and legally the sharing economy will never work in HK.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4