Like Tree27Likes

Anyone been to Xiamen recently?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anyone been to Xiamen recently?

Marco Polo Silver status requires 300 club points to renew and I have 295 so need to make a quick run before July 31st. I have settled on Xiamen since the flight is the cheapest. Besides this time of year is horrible for an Asian holiday due to the rain and heat.

I have travelled to Xiamen on business but not for sightseeing. Is Gulangyu still worth going or is it mobbed? The Tulou is interesting but I don’t want to join a tour because the last time I did that the tour ended very early to accommodate a two hour shopping diversion. Anyone booked a driver for Tulou? Else recommend a better travel agency. Thanks. Alternative destinations other than Xiamen also appreciated as long as the CX/KA flight is around $2500 or less.

Bangkok is around 2k

jonastainine likes this.

i would think taipei should be cheaper. Is CX silver worth having? doesnt get you much more than the green card.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    i would think taipei should be cheaper. Is CX silver worth having? doesnt get you much more than the green card.
    Last time I looked at Cathay flights to Taipei, it was ludicrously priced (like 4-5k). EVA was a far more reasonably 1.5k

from cx

Book Flights from Hong Kong (HKG) to Taipei (TPE) with Cathay Pacific from HKD1,598

We hired a driver and new Buick minivan to get to the Tulou earth ( round houses ) which I highly recommend, it was worth the long driver there and back. Lovely countryside once you get out of the built up area's, plus the locals out in the country side are quite friendly. Definitely worth the effort and personally I'd give Gulangyu Island a miss it's a bit dinky in my opinion, I wouldnt visit it a second time...

We went about 3 years ago, as we have friends who's parents own an apartment in Xiamen... Food was pretty good, at very reasonable prices, with LARGE portions compared to Hong Kong. The Dim Sum was kick ass, and everything was about 50% bigger. Man oh man, it was good.

Indianno Johns, SAMRAT is a must visit if you really enjoy Indian food, I absolutely loved the food at this place, it just made me satisfyingly happy. Give it a try if you get a chance, you wont be disappointed...
    Their address is 2nd Floor, 69 Jiangtou Bei Road, Kaiming Theater Complex
    Xiamen Shi, Fujian, China 361009

+86 592 555 7699

Another kickass place was a faithfully reproduced Hong Kong style retro cafe, that served some Hong Kong old cafe faves, maybe better than they do in Hong Kong. Best photo op place and great food I think It was Xiamen Port Kee old style restaurant or something like that, was a pretty killer spot for photos and excellent food
    Name:  kee restaurant.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  43.4 KB If I can find my photos Ill post them up, as the only one I could find online doesnt really do it justice, or maybe the place went broke, as it was 3 years ago since we last visited.

jonastainine likes this.

from cx

Book Flights from Hong Kong (HKG) to Taipei (TPE) with Cathay Pacific from HKD1,598
    I saw that and clicked on it but there are black out dates coincide with mine.
    aquaman likes this.

Silver is worth it because I can book my own seats ahead of time.
    aquaman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    Bangkok is around 2k

That was my first choice but it’ll be an indoor trip due to the rains. But that’s not bad.

Hainan?

Better beaches but less culture than Xiamen, probably about same flight distance

jonastainine and Skyhook like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast