Like Tree16Likes

RANT: Don't ever buy Zurich Travel Insurance

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

RANT: Don't ever buy Zurich Travel Insurance

I strongly recommend not to buy from them. I've never been so aggravated. It's been almost 2 months and for every 10 question you answer they come back with 10 more. I'm at the 3rd round of this - and they post you the questions instead of emailing you.

When I realised I was missing items, I called them to confirm what I would need to do and provide them. And now they are asking for more - telling me I need to ask Immigration for my travel records (which I have to bear the cost of). I've never had this much problems before when I was with Chubb _ they were clearly defined, didn't make me jump through hoops and I got my claim within a few weeks.

So tempted to cancel the rest of my other policies - I can't even fathom how the life insurance claim process would be if this is how ridiculous they are!

Try to use the HK Consumer Council as leverage. Also, threatening to use the media especially both local and international media to maximum exposure in order to hurt their future revenues always gets a company to comply. Just tell them you know a reporter at the WSJ and are ready to expose them and hurt them and they may budge. You have to be prepared to use the nuclear option like this when customer service doesn't cooperate.

Can you tell us what happened? The basis of your claim? Etc?

MABinPengChau likes this.

Stupid me... I had liquids so I had to check my carry on luggage. So when I returned home, it wasn't until I went through my case that I realised my expensive items were missing. So I called and asked them what to do to file a claim. They said go file a police report and provide a list of receipts and submit it with my boarding pass.

My suitcase wasn't damaged or anything which is why I didn't notice anything missing until I got home to open my case.

I'm missing some jewelry, an expensive wallet with some JPY in it (I was in JP the week before and forgot to take it out), my headphones and an expensive jacket. I didn't have the jewellery receipt as I didn't buy it so didn't claim that.

Then they started with the 1st 10 questions - why didn't you tell the airline, who you travelled with, need immigration stamp indicating I was leaving BKK etc. After I answered the other 10 questions - send me pic of luggage, why did you check your stuff, is there a lock etc. Answered and now, whats the password? Can anyone change it, why didn't you change your password from previous trip, you need to send proof of your entries (you need to contact and pay immigration for it)......

It's like they don't want to pay for it by asking all these questions and dragging out the process.

shri, jgl and MandM! like this.

Good luck. Travel insurance sounds good until you need it. Most companies will make an effort to not pay, then they will depreciate the heck out of your claim and probably apply a deductible on top. I bought insurance before through an airline and filed a claim for a damaged HK$500 item from my luggage, and they said it doesn't reach the minimum amount to make a claim. Then for other items I'm sure that will say it's more than the maximum amount covered. It's a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Good luck. Travel insurance sounds good until you need it. Most companies will make an effort to not pay, then they will depreciate the heck out of your claim and probably apply a deductible on top. I bought insurance before through an airline and filed a claim for a damaged HK$500 item from my luggage, and they said it doesn't reach the minimum amount to make a claim. Then for other items I'm sure that will say it's more than the maximum amount covered. It's a scam.
    I've used travel insurance a couple of times and it was extremely simple and covered fairly substantial costs (overseas medical, multiple cancelled flights) with a minimum of paperwork. Off memory it was with AIA.

I suspect that claiming for lost or damaged goods might be more problematic as people who try to scam insurance are probably more likely to go with that option (not at all implying that the OP would be involved with this!). But I think this was why my claims were simple to sort out- documentation came from hospitals, doctors or airlines rather than random store receipts.

If anything, my advice for medical claims would be not to claim straight away. Hold off for a while to see if the hospitals try to hit you with additional bills later on. The insurer processed my claim remarkably quickly, possibly in part to have their responsibilities settled before any additional claims could be made.
    Last edited by jgl; 21-08-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    MandM! and UK/HKboy like this.

AMEX were trying to coax me into buying Zurich Insurance. I wonder if they're the same as the OP is dealing with.

When I used Chubb, it was easy peasy and I understood that they are going to try hard to not really pay you for everything - but it just seems like Zurich doesn't even want to pay a single amount given all the questions and it's been almost 2 months.

from an insurance point of view ( as I work in the industry), very few insurance companies will pay for loss of cash and jewelry.

I presume you had carried the wallet, cash and jewelry in your hand carry luggage which you took on the plane yourself, did you check the hand carry luggage while on the flight was your wallet and headphone still there?

jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I've used travel insurance a couple of times and it was extremely simple and covered fairly substantial costs (overseas medical, multiple cancelled flights) with a minimum of paperwork. Off memory it was with AIA.

I suspect that claiming for lost or damaged goods might be more problematic as people who try to scam insurance are probably more likely to go with that option (not at all implying that the OP in involved with this). But I think this was why my claims were simple to sort out- documentation came from hospitals, doctors or airlines rather than random store receipts.

If anything, my advice for medical claims would be not to claim straight away. Hold off for a while to see if the hospitals try to hit you with additional bills later on. The insurer processed my claim remarkably quickly, possibly in part to have their responsibilities settled before any additional claims could be made.
    Can you tell us more about the medical expenses reimbursed.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast