Like Tree19Likes

Real Chinese food back home.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    In the US I worked for a company for a couple of years with about 1/3 staff being mainlanders. They took me to all kinds of hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurants (no English menu, cash register receipt in Chinese) that were PLENTY authentic (pigs' ears, stuff Americans don't eat). And everyone in the restaurant is Chinese. This was in a MD suburb of Washington DC (Rockville area). There is a lot of authentic stuff out there but only the Chinese seem to know about it...practically like private kitchens...
    Yep spot on!

Sounds a lot like Rowland Heights, CA. Mostly Mando speaking northern Chinese, a complete contrast from Sanfrancisco, which is extremely Canto, for example...

The food is definitely there in the US and parts of Australia, not sure about the UK, it probably does, just to a lesser extent. Also, just for a matter of interest, we found a great little Shanghainese mum and pop resto in Nancy, France, when we arrived late ( got sick of driving to Geneve from Paris) and as my wife understands Shanghainese, we had an amazing meal. It was extremely fresh and the quality of the tomatoes in their version of tomato beef and the tenderness of the meat, just made the dish very lovely. out of all the places I have eaten globally, I'd have to say that Dubai was the worst place in the world for Chinese food, it really was rubbish, which was a bit bizarre, because other ethnic cuisines we tried were fine or excellent, Chinese was very ordinary, indeed. We ended up just cooking our own in the end....

Oddly enough, I've had great Chinese food on Lake Garda in Northern Italy, and in Accra in Ghana.

Skyhook and imparanoic like this.

Name:  DSC_0198.JPG
Views: 217
Size:  2.90 MB

While Ive been posting on this thread, Im roasting some Char Sui, that I prepped this morning to marinate. Now roasting for the last 45 minutes in our patio pizza oven.. The smell is making me so hungry lol
    imparanoic, jonastainine and RMDNC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch
    I finally found that Kai Hing supermarket /家興超市 in western Tuen Mun stocks Lao Gan Ma, both the regular and peanut (green band around top of label) flavours. The place is a pain to get to, so I buy in bulk when I go - I got seriously addicted to peanut chili sauce while I was living in Qinghai.
    Some local shops selling soy sauce and spices will probably carry it.

Also check HKTV mall:

https://www.hktvmall.com/hktv/en/sea...B9%BE%E5%AA%BD

I remember the flight attendants on Sichuan Airlines usually go up and down the aisles with this hot sauce during meal time.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    Have you tried the crispy one, pictured red in my photo.

I find it actually a lot easier to get this sort of stuff over here, as the Asian grocety shop we frequent, pretty much stocks everything. Too easy.Attachment 78935Attachment 78935
    Having now checked, the bottles I have do not have any English writing on the labels, but the Chinese characters (that I can see on yours) are the same as those on mine, as is the yellow band around the top of the label. Totally excellent stuff. Even works just slathered onto bread for a snack.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch
    Having now checked, the bottles I have do not have any English writing on the labels, but the Chinese characters (that I can see on yours) are the same as those on mine, as is the yellow band around the top of the label. Totally excellent stuff. Even works just slathered onto bread for a snack.
    Yeah it is a fave staple in our household too. Love it!

I grew up in Brisbane and ate Chinese often with my parents, maternal grandparents and next door neighbours' family. But I tend to not eat it there now if I visit. Too greasy and fatty. In the UK, I never ate it. Dubai - never, ever. I preferred Arabic food as it suited my vegetarian diet and is healthier. In Germany - never. HKG and SG - depends. I ate much of it regularly at the hawker centres in SG and many times in HKG at the Dai Lai Dongs, but got allergic reactions too much in HKG due to cross food contamination ( I am allergic to shellfish and crustacean). n China, I ate Chinese food but was careful of what I ate. Street food included. I enjoyed much of it though. In Sweden where I live now, never. Just too fatty, greasy and westernised to my taste now. Like eating Chinese at our local Chinese restaurants in Brisbane. BTW, I grew up with Chinese in our street and 'hood. Anyway, I prefer authentic Indian and Arabic food.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3