Like Tree19Likes

Real Chinese food back home.

Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    a sunny un spoilt paradise
    Posts
    6,912

    Real Chinese food back home.

    As we are now living during the Chinese century, how are you finding the availability of authentic Chinese food as opposed to the Anglo Chinese food of the past. C Milk and Winston, who have lived in Shenzhen collectively for 22 years, travel 3000 miles across the USA in their pursuit to find authentic Chinese cuisine, as the new wave of Chinese immigration how that has really diversified the food offerings now available.

    I know even myself if we drive down to Sunnybank, Brisbane, home to a large Chinese community where we can pretty much get most authentic Chinese favourite foods, only with better quality ingredients. Things have really improved over the last 20 years, we've never had it so good.

    How is it where you're from in the world ?

    Might want to bookmark the great video below, being over 2 hours long, to enjoy later at home.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,519

    I live in LA, as good a place for "authentic" Chinese as any place in North America. That said I hardly ever seek it because I know it'll be a let down. I tell friends I'd rather go to Hong Kong to eat dim sum than the San Gabriel Valley and it's true. Even chains like Din Tai Fung vary in taste and quality. Ingredients are different - American pork is just so damn lean that it's not as succulent as what you get in Asia. Luckily I travel to Asia on a regular basis so I get my annual fix.


  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,295

    There are now some restaurants that offer
    decent Chinese food.
    However, at the same time I have changed and don't eat Chinese food anymore.
    Just overdosed on it.
    Now it's Indian, much healthier


  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,697

    Please not these guys. Not giving them my click.


  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    I know even myself if we drive down to Sunnybank, Brisbane, home to a large Chinese community where we can pretty much get most authentic Chinese favourite foods, only with better quality ingredients. Things have really improved over the last 20 years, we've never had it so good.
    I used to think this about Sydney, then after living in HK for a decade+ changed my mind. I avoid Chinese food in Sydney these days.

    On the other hand, and just going on the image in that YouTube link, I do enjoy American Chinese food. There's usually nothing 'authentic' about it, but it tastes great. I did a roadtrip through the Midwest years ago, and if we saw a Chinese takeaway place, we'd stop off and try it. If the owners were from Hong Kong, we'd have some good conversations and occasionally joke about this weird food they were calling 'Chinese'.

    Particularly memorable was cream cheese deep friend in wonton skin, with the glowing red sauce. We never figured out what that sauce was supposed to be.
    Last edited by jgl; 12-09-2019 at 08:46 AM.
    imparanoic and chuckster007 like this.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    As we are now living during the Chinese century, how are you finding the availability of authentic Chinese food as opposed to the Anglo Chinese food of the past. C Milk and Winston, who have lived in Shenzhen collectively for 22 years, travel 3000 miles across the USA in their pursuit to find authentic Chinese cuisine, as the new wave of Chinese immigration how that has really diversified the food offerings now available.

    I know even myself if we drive down to Sunnybank, Brisbane, home to a large Chinese community where we can pretty much get most authentic Chinese favourite foods, only with better quality ingredients. Things have really improved over the last 20 years, we've never had it so good.

    How is it where you're from in the world ?

    Might want to bookmark the great video below, being over 2 hours long, to enjoy later at home.

    Without even watching the video, I'm sure the guy who made it failed to realize American Chinese food has its orgins in working class immigrants post Gold Rush and American railroad labor exploitation in the late 1800's facing widespread discrimination in finding meaningful work and thus retreating to running laundries and restaurants. The food was catered to the Caucasian plalate in order to survive.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    807

    I have had Chinese food in Manchester, UK and the Netherlands. The food was definitely American Chinese food with standard fare like General Tso’s Chicken and Lo Mein. Seems American Chinese food has jumped the pond.


  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,606
    Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine
    I have had Chinese food in Manchester, UK and the Netherlands. The food was definitely American Chinese food with standard fare like General Tso’s Chicken and Lo Mein. Seems American Chinese food has jumped the pond.
    Can't tell if serious or ironic!
    imparanoic likes this.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Can't tell if serious or ironic!
    What do you mean? I was relating my experience. I am curious why immigrants to these countries decided to follow the Chinese Americans in cooking style. BTW I am sure they spoke Cantonese so perhaps they were HK immigrants. Anyway these restaurants were at their respective Chinatowns so maybe that’s why.
    Last edited by jonastainine; 12-09-2019 at 09:58 AM.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,151

    i used to live in birmingham UK 13 years ago and was there in 2015 and last month while on holiday, real authentic chinese food are food in chinese quarter and consist mostly of cantonese, malaysian and hakka variant, however, in recent years, chinese quarter has expand two folds with mainland students and the variety of authentic chinese food from other regions has expanded, such as beijing, shanghaiese, chongqing, in recent years.


Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast