Like Tree64Likes

Recent flight cancellations and downgauges

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Yes, same slashed prices to Washington DC which can be done for HKD 4000 or so if you are willing to stop over in Beijing...don't see how that can possibly be sustainable, about the same price as London but further...seems flight time is about 3 hours longer to DC than London.

MandM! likes this.

Sad about the United Guam to HK cancellation. No more island-hopper.

Lots of good deals to be had though, especially in J.

Yeah, there are some totally crazy fares out there.

I have seen on the rare occasion out of season the likes of China Eastern, Philippine Airlines and Vietnam airlines have flights to Europe for below 4000, but to see European carriers do the same is totally amazing.

Its a very good time to travel long-haul from/ to Hong Kong. The do say every cloud has a silver lining I suppose...

MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeachHK:
    I thought it would be interesting to compile a list of airline flight (permanent) cancellations downguages due to the current situation in Hong Kong.

Cathay have already announced a big round of cuts due to a 38% fall in inbound passenger numbers and 12% fall on outbound.
    As a summary of what I have seen so far:
    Cancelling Dublin and their New York-Vancouver-Hong Kong.
    Cancelling their daytime flights to Paris and Frankfurt.
    Reducing frequency of flights to Vancouver, New York and Washington.
    Reduction in flights to Beijing, Medan and Tokyo.

With a fall that great in passenger numbers, I can't imagine that there won't be further cuts. CX will also have to very heavily discount seats on transit routings to get bums on seats which will be very bad for the bottom line.

Scott Kirby (CEO of United) described the Hong Kong market as 'terrible' for the airline. Yes, he did actually say 'terrible'.
    United have cancelled Guam and Chicago to Hong Kong and have announced the use of smaller planes on the SFO and Newark routes (All going from 777-300ER to the smaller 777-200ER with older business class product).

I was searching for flights from London to Hong Kong this November for a potential visit and noted that BA were selling return flights for £415. Yes, I know it's out of season, but I don't think I have ever seen BA that low! There are connecting flights on the likes of KLM and Lufthansa for £350. That can't be sustainable.
    You can fly China Eastern for less than hk3000 roundtrip to the states via Shanghai. I would rather pay more to avoid a China transit and delay, but if you are looking for cheap fares, they exist and always have.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Yes, same slashed prices to Washington DC which can be done for HKD 4000 or so if you are willing to stop over in Beijing...don't see how that can possibly be sustainable, about the same price as London but further...seems flight time is about 3 hours longer to DC than London.
    This has been pretty normal though. China Eastern flies on certain days too, so you won't see it as regularly. I have once booked a round trip for hk2700. I also did an overnight in Shanghai as I needed to visit a business partner so it worked out perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    You can fly China Eastern for less than hk3000 roundtrip to the states via Shanghai. I would rather pay more to avoid a China transit and delay, but if you are looking for cheap fares, they exist and always have.
    As I, very clearly, said, cheap fares have been available with a number of airlines for a while.

What is unusual is that privately owned European airlines are offering fares at these levels too.

Whilst it may be fine for Chinese CCP owned airlines to offer below cost fares, I'm not sure the shareholders of Air France- KLM or IAG would have the same point of view.
    TheBrit, MABinPengChau and Jackie1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeachHK:
    What is unusual is that privately owned European airlines are offering fares at these levels too.

Whilst it may be fine for Chinese CCP owned airlines to offer below cost fares, I'm not sure the shareholders of Air France- KLM or IAG would have the same point of view.
    Cargo plays a major factor for flights into and out of HKG. Whilst passenger numbers may have declined the cargo is relatively stable. Airlines like KLM/AF continue to send their 777's to HKG, that's why pricing is competitive for passengers tickets.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    This has been pretty normal though. China Eastern flies on certain days too, so you won't see it as regularly. I have once booked a round trip for hk2700. I also did an overnight in Shanghai as I needed to visit a business partner so it worked out perfectly.
    Yes you are right, everything is as normal with no price reductions. MandM why do you talk such drivel on almost every topic?
    TheBrit likes this.

The airport releases statistics every month - below is August. Passengers and cargo are both down about -12% relative to August 2018, but number of flights not by nearly as much (passenger -4%, cargo -1%).

https://www.hongkongairport.com/iwov...s/Aug2019e.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    The airport releases statistics every month - below is August. Passengers and cargo are both down about -12% relative to August 2018, but number of flights not by nearly as much (passenger -4%, cargo -1%).
    I think what is probably more impactful (and only CX will have numbers on this) is how much origin-destination traffic has been hit. CX moves loads of people between Europe and Australia, or between SEA / India and the US. But on those one-stop itineraries they have to compete with loads of equivalent products, and are competitively priced (lots of discussion here on where to position best for cheap CX fares). It's the direct-HK-to-Heathrow or JFK flights that come with an 80k+ price tag. The airport will do fine, just based on its location. The airline will see a much bigger loss. Not that I personally mind, though - just one more monopoly business that gouged itself on a captive audience.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast