Like Tree64Likes

Recent flight cancellations and downgauges

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Recent flight cancellations and downgauges

I thought it would be interesting to compile a list of airline flight (permanent) cancellations downguages due to the current situation in Hong Kong.

Cathay have already announced a big round of cuts due to a 38% fall in inbound passenger numbers and 12% fall on outbound.
    As a summary of what I have seen so far:
    Cancelling Dublin and their New York-Vancouver-Hong Kong.
    Cancelling their daytime flights to Paris and Frankfurt.
    Reducing frequency of flights to Vancouver, New York and Washington.
    Reduction in flights to Beijing, Medan and Tokyo.

With a fall that great in passenger numbers, I can't imagine that there won't be further cuts. CX will also have to very heavily discount seats on transit routings to get bums on seats which will be very bad for the bottom line.

Scott Kirby (CEO of United) described the Hong Kong market as 'terrible' for the airline. Yes, he did actually say 'terrible'.
    United have cancelled Guam and Chicago to Hong Kong and have announced the use of smaller planes on the SFO and Newark routes (All going from 777-300ER to the smaller 777-200ER with older business class product).

I was searching for flights from London to Hong Kong this November for a potential visit and noted that BA were selling return flights for £415. Yes, I know it's out of season, but I don't think I have ever seen BA that low! There are connecting flights on the likes of KLM and Lufthansa for £350. That can't be sustainable.

Morrison, hullexile, shri and 3 others like this.

If it is bad for Cathay it is bad for all Hong Kong. The trickle down effect on the whole economy will be substantial.

I've switched from Cathay because they are charging twice of what airlines like Lufthansa or Emirates are charging.

Just bought a HKD 6500 roundtrip ticket to Washington DC on Cathay for October. There are definitely fewer flights scheduled. I travel to DC in April and October and generally get a row of three seats to myself for excellent sleeping. So the planes have never been full yet in my experience. I feel like they will abandon this route, it's only a year old, seems like it's not been profitable for them. Leaving me with no carrier doing nonstop to Washington DC. So I will go back to flying ANA or Korean because United and American are awful...

Quick note - let's keep this about fares and route changes and not other issues. It is in the travel forum.

It is all connected nowadays shri. Cause and effect.

Perhaps the protestors can congratulate themselves on having the bill completely removed and at the same time think about their ironic contribution towards the reduction in through traffic and money it brings into the country

angeluscomplex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Perhaps the protestors can congratulate themselves on having the bill completely removed and at the same time think about their ironic contribution towards the reduction in through traffic and money it brings into the country
    You missed Shri's post then?
    juanalias likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You missed Shri's post then?
    I genuinely did. I’ve been deliberately not commenting for awhile to see how things play out and I didn’t get to the end of the chain before commenting

Hoping he will move with my apologies
    hullexile likes this.

KLM and Air France ( Schadenfreude ) have also slashed prices big time, many destinations in EU cost just $$ 420 round trip

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast